The St Kitts and Nevis (St Christopher) is a small two island nation in West Indies. St. Kitts, also known as ‘Saint Christopher’ and Nevis forms part of the group of islands known as the Lesser Antilles, located some 2,000 km to the southeast of Miami. The country has beautiful beaches, reefs, wonderful cool climate, enjoyable throughout the year. The country is well connected by flights from US, Europe and the Caribbean airliners.
St Kitts and Nevis has the oldest and longest running economic citizenship by investment programs in the world.
The Citizenship Program of St. Christopher (St. Kitts) was established in 1984 and requires applicants to make an economic contribution to the country. In exchange, they and their families are granted full citizenship. The regulations regarding citizenship-by-investment in St. Kitts and Nevis are contained in Part II, Section 3 (5) of the Citizenship Act, 1984. St Kitts and Nevis has introduced ‘Sustainable Growth Fund (SGF)’ effective from 1, April 2018 under its CBI programme, after the expiry of Hurricane Relief Fund.
Limited Time Discount (LTO)
The St Kitts Government offers Limited Time Discount until Jun 30, 2023 providing a USD 25,000 discount for all applications with accelerated application process (60 days) free of charge. The minimum real estate investment required by law reduced to US$200,000 (resalable after 5 years) for each main applicant.
The St. Kitts and Nevis passport is currently the most popular citizenship by investment program (CIP) in the world.
- Visa free travel to European Schengen area including UK, Europe, Switzerland, Singapore along with other 151 countries
- No residence requirements before or after passport.
- No interviews, no business experience, no english tests.
- No income or wealth tax.
- Citizenship for family members (spouse and children)
- Lifetime citizenship with one time investment
- No restrictions on Dual citizenship.
- Discrete and confidential application process.
- Choice of $200,000 Real Estate investment.
- Pass citizenship to descendents and family.
- No personal visit required.
- Visa free travel to EU schengen, UK, Ireland, Switzerland, Singapore etc.
- Passport issued with 3-6 months.
- Business incentives for investment.
- Maintain dual citizenship with other nations.
- Right to take up residence in CARICOM member countries at any time and for any length of time.
Limited Time Offer (2023)
The SGF contribution with be reduced price for a limited time from Jan 1, 2023 to Jun 30, 2023 for a limited time and all applications will be processed in 60 days.
Under the Limited Time Offer, investment options for Sustainable Growth Fund (SFG) are as follows:
- Single applicant – US$ 125,000
- Main applicant and a spouse – US$150,000
- Main applicant, spouse and two dependants – US$170,000
- Each additional dependant under 18 – US$10,000
- Each additional dependant over 18 – US$25,000
he Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) is the Government Authority which handles all matters concerning Citizenship by Investment in the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis. The CIP program attract foreign investors of good character to make a substantial contribution to the country and then to apply for citizenship and passport complying with strict guidelines under and the relevant law and regulations.
To qualify for citizenship of St. Kitts and Nevis under its Citizenship-by-Investment Program, the Government requires either …..
1. Sustainable Growth Fund:
One time contribution of USD 150,000 to starting from April 1, 2018
Applicants may qualify for citizenship through a contribution to the Sustainable Growth Fund (SGF).
- Single applicant: a non-refundable contribution of US$150,000 is required
- Main applicant with up to three dependents (for example, a spouse and two children): a non-refundable contribution of US$195,000 is required
- Additional dependents, regardless of Age: US$10,000
The additional costs to add sibling of main applicant are as follows
- SGF donation: US$ 20,000 per sibling
- Real Estate: US$ 40,000 per sibling
Upon submission of an application, non-refundable due diligence and processing fees must be also paid. These fees amount to US$7,500 for the main applicant, and US$4,000 for each dependent of the main application who is over the age of 16 years.
Download Brochure for Sustainable Growth Fund
2. Real Estate Investment
Designated recoverable Real Estate Investment with a value of at least US$ 200,000 plus payment of various registration and other fees. For any accompanying family members, additional costs apply (see below).
Applicants may qualify for citizenship through an investment in a pre-approved real estate project, which may include hotel shares, villas, and condominium units. The minimum real estate investment required by law is US$200,000 (resalable after 7 years) or US$400,000 (resalable after 5 years) for each main applicant.
Upon submission of an application, non-refundable due diligence and processing fees must also be paid. These fees amount to US$7,500 for the main applicant, and US$4,000 for each dependent of the main applicant who is over the age of 16 years.
On approval in principle of an application made through a real estate investment, a Government fee applies, as follows:
- Main applicant: US$35,047
- Spouse of the main applicant: US$20,047
- Any other qualified dependent of the main applicant regardless of age: US$10,047
In addition to these fees, real estate buyers should be aware of purchase costs (mainly compulsory insurance fund contributions and conveyance fees).
For listed of approved real estate click here
The real estate market in Saint Kitts and Nevis has risen significantly in the island because of more arrival of visitors and new flights to the islands and also because of new real estate developments such as 5 star Park Hyatt hotel, Aman resort and Four seasons resort in Nevis contributing to the boom. There is also Marriott hotel in the island. It is also possible to buy a limited partnership share in various real estate properties with minimum $200,000 and qualify for citizenship. Over 70% of the real estate sales are linked to the citizenship by investment program. In St Kitts the rental yields range from 4.9% to 5.3% as holiday occupancy rates are very high in summer peaking $2000 a week. The price of 1.5 bedroom condos and houses starts from $420,000, 3 bedroom condo houses $750,000 averaging $3020 per sq.m
2. Private Homes
The sale of approved private homes under the Citizenship by Investment Programme will be allowed for a period of two years, starting November 1st 2020. The property has to be held for 5 years and the next buyer will not qualify for citizenship.
- All homes having an appraised value of more than USD 400,000.00
- The property shall be owned by certificate of title, by the vendor
- The value of the land shall not be included in determining the value of the home
- A single family home shall be sold as one unit and shall not be converted to apartments or condominiums or otherwise divided for sale under the Citizenship by Investment Programme
- An apartment building or more than one apartment buildings on the same piece of land shall be sold as one unit and shall not be divided
- The use of shares is prohibited
- A property purchased under the Private Home plan shall not be resold for a period of at least 5 years
- The sold property does not qualify for use in a subsequent Citizenship by Investment application
- Real Estate government fees apply to all sales of private property
4. Alternative Investments
The Alternative Investment Option (AIO) is a third form of investment under the Citizenship by Investment Programme. The AIO will provide the Government with the means of achieving its capital investments goals without having to endure the drawbacks associated with the use of its existing limited resources or from taking additional debt.
Potential projects should be identified and listed by the Government or can be brought forward by private individuals with access to financing who approach the Government with potential projects not on the Government’s infrastructure list. However, the asset when completed and operated for a reasonable period of time (that allows for a reasonable return on investment) must be turned over to the Government in a maintained condition consistent with prudent ownership.
For those projects on the Government’s infrastructure list, they can be advertised seeking expressions of interest for initial review by the Government and the creation of individual project “short lists”. The Government will endeavor to ensure that to the extent practicable, shortlisted companies will not only maximize local employment but also embark upon programs including transfer of technology and capacity building.
There will be two categories of AIO:
- A Private Enterprise Developer (PED), where the built or funded asset is privately owned. In this option, the minimum Unit of Investment will be USD 200,000.00 and standard real estate government fees will apply.
- A Public Good Project Developer (PGPD), where the State owns the asset at the end of an agreement. These projects are fully funded by the PGPD and locked in “up front”. The minimum Unit of Investment will be USD 175,000.00 and a government fee of USD 50,000.00 will apply for a single applicant or up to a family of four. All other fees will apply as per the real estate option.
Accelerated Application Processing
St Kitts is the only country in the caribbean that has provision for accelerated processing of CBI applications subjected to fee.
The Accelerated Application Process (AAP) approved by the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis in October 2016 allows applications with the Citizenship by Investment Program to be accelerated to a 60 day processing period.
Interested persons applying utilizing the AAP will still be required to meet all mandatory criteria and submit the necessary supporting documents to apply for citizenship by investment.
Applications will be given an accelerated treatment from the Citizenship by Investment Unit, Due Diligence Providers and the St. Kitts and Nevis Passport Office. As a bonus this process also includes the application and processing of the St. Christopher (St. Kitts) and Nevis passport.
Applying using the AAP can see an application completed within 60 days with some applications completed in as early as 45 days.
AAP Process Fees (inclusive of Due Diligence Fees)
- Main Applicant: US$25,000.00
- Dependent above 16 years: US$20,000.00
In addition to the US$25,000.00 and US$20,000.00 AAP processing fees, an additional fee of US$500.00 per person will be applicable for the processing of the St. Kitts and Nevis Passport for any dependents under the age of 16 years.
Owing to the extended turn-around time of third party due diligence contributor’s applicants from the following countries will not be eligible for the AAP:
- Republic of Iraq,
- Republic of Yemen,
- Federal Republic of Nigeria,
St Kitts and Nevis Passport
The St Kitts and Nevis passport is a very good and a very strong passport from the Caribbean
St Kitts passport has visa free travel to 151 countries in the world. The St Kitts (Christopher) passport ranks 26th powerful passport in the world in 2018 according to HPI.
- St Kitts Brochure – Download pdf
- St Kitts CBI Special Edition – Download pdf
You can download full list of countries with visa waivers in pdf format
St Kitts Citizenship FAQs
The answers of the most frequently asked questions related to St.Kitts investment and real estate are given below. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further information.
How much is St Kitts citizenship?
Prices start from USD 150,000 donation to SGF fund or a USD 200,000 real estate investment. Additional costs apply for family members, due diligence and lawyer fee.
What makes St Kitts a special CBI program?
St Kitts and Nevis (SKN) runs the oldest CBI program in the World, running since 36 years. No personal visit, language or personal visit or residence requirements to get St Kitts passport.
What is the current processing time?
It takes anywhere between 3-4 months to get St Kitts passport, if all the documents are in order.
Are there any discounts?
The Limited time discounts will be at announced by government from time to time.
Who cannot apply for St Kitts citizenship by investment program?
The CIU does not accept applications from nationals of Iran, Russia, Belarus, Afghanistan, North Korea and Cuba.
How powerful is St Kitts passport?
St Kitts has the most powerful passport in the Caribbean in terms of most visa free countries. As of 2020, SKN passport has visa free or arrival access to 156 destinations including Schengen area, United Kingdom, Israel, South Korea, Russia and almost all of South America
Where is St.Kitts and Nevis?
St Kitts and Nevis is a beautiful small two island nation in the Caribbean located some 2,000 km to the southeast of Miami. The country is well connected by flights from US, Europe.
What is the currency of Saint Kitts and Nevis?
The currency of St.Kitts and Nevis is Eastern Caribbean Dollar (XCD). Roughly 10 USD will buy you 27 Eastern Caribbean dollars.
What is Citizenship-by-Investment program ?
The Citizenship-by-Investment Program of St. Christopher (St. Kitts) and Nevis was established in 1984, making it the longest established program of this kind in the world. The Government of St. Kitts and Nevis utilizes this program to attract investors of good character to make a substantial contribution to the development of the Federation. Obtaining Citizenship and passport in another country by “legal” means are getting very difficult nowdays, and Governments are making sure that such programs are only available for wealthy or high net worth investors who are capable to making a substantial contribution to economy of the country and who are able to support themselves financially.
What is the minimum investment needed?
As of April 2018, the St.Kitts government has increased the minimum investment amount to USD 150,000 under SGF
2. Designated recoverable Real Estate Investment with a value of at least US$ 200,000 plus payment of various registration and other fees . Additional costs apply including for any family dependents. You can include a spouse and children below 18yrs of age in the citizenship application. For children who are above 18 years of age, additional USD 35,000 applies.
Please see the fee schedules.
Can i visit USA and Canada visa free using St kitts passport?
NO, you need to apply visa.
How do i start and how do i apply?
First you have to apply to authorized agent (us) by paying the 50% agent fee plus Government processing fee. We will help you with all the documents and then we will submit to the Citizenship by investment unit (CIU). All payments done in stages and final investment only done after approval letter issued.
What is the time frame to process the application?
The application process time after receiving the complete application forms and documents (as well as paying the funds) is currently 3-4months regardless if a client chooses the SGF option or the real-estate program.
What is the main difference between SGF and Real Estate option?
SGF donation route is the cheapest route $150,000 plus fees and non-refundable. The amount is fully refunded by Government if they chose not to give citizenship to you.
We highly recommend real-estate program $200,000 plus fees , because having a “second home” in St.Kitts is a very good reason for getting a St.Kitts citizenship and passport. You can sell your real estate after 5 years with profit, while still keeping your citizenship. Real estate owners receive a residential address and permanent residence card, thus give a genuine link to become a citizen of St Kitts.
Are there any fee for children aged over 18 years of age to be included in the Citizenship application?
Yes. Children who are aged between 18 – 25 years pay additional Government fees.
What is the criteria for dependents?
Permitted dependent means: A spouse of the main applicant A child under eighteen (18) years old of the main applicant or his or her spouse The child of the main applicant or his or her spouse between eighteen and thirty years who is in full time attendance at a recognized institution of higher learning after his/her eighteen birthday and/or fully supported by the main applicant Parents or grandparents of the main applicant or his spouse above the age of fifty-five years living with and fully supported by the main applicant A child of the main applicant or spouse of the main applicant who is above the age of eighteen years and physically or mentally challenged.
What are the benefits of St. Kits and Nevis Passport?
- Visa free travel for over 150 countries including all EU countries, Singapore, Hong Kong, Brazil, Argentina, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Ireland.
- No residence requirements.
- Free to live and work in St.Kitts as a citizen
- No income or wealth tax.
- Second citizenship for your family members.
Are there any residency requirements to acquire passport?
No, there is no residency requirement. You can directly qualify for citizenship.
What countries i can travel visa free with St.Kitts & Nevis passport?
You can travel to 132 countries in the world visa free. You can visit EU schengen countries including Switzerland for maximum 90 days in 180 day period. You can visit UK without visa maximum 6 months for tourism, business conferences, family and friends etc.
The full list of countries here: https://www.ciu.gov.kn/visa-free-countries/
Is St Kitts and Nevis, a Tax free country?
St Kitts has no personal income tax, no wealth tax, and no inheritance taxes. This makes it attractive for many cryptocurrency investors.
Can i pay in Bitcoin for citizenship by investment?
No. The CIU office does not officially accept bitcoin or cryptocurrencies for the CBI program. Some lawyers or agents will accept payments in bitcoin only as agent fee. Few property developers also accept Bitcoin directly.
Is taking Oath of allegiance required?
St Kitts exempts applicants and family members from taking Oath of allegiance. It is the only CIP that does not require taking oaths.
How long is the validity of passport?
The passport issued carries 10 year validity and after that it can be renewed.
On what grounds could my citizenship application be refused?
- If applicant has a criminal record, a tainted reputation or unable to pass the due diligence clearance, the Government may reject the citizenship application. Sometimes, in very rare cases, the Govt refuse citing national security or false information presented in the citizenship application.
- If you have had visa denial to any one of the countries, where St.Kitts and Nevis have visa free travel agreements, you cannot apply for the citizenship-by-investment program. You must have successfully obtained visa from the same country which denied your visa, inorder to apply for citizenship program.
- Please note that granting citizenship is at the sole discretion of the St.Kitts and Nevis Government. We cannot therefore guarantee that any applications will be approved. We carefully evaluate each applicant’s individual situation prior to accepting a citizenship applications and only if we are satisfied with applicants eligibility we will submit to Government. We do not use any intermediaries and we serve to protect confidentiality of our wealthy clients.
- False or concealment of information in the application.
The passport can be revoked anytime by the Government.
What documents are needed?
We highly recommend our clients to arrange the following important documents, before applying for citizenship program. Normally it takes 1-2 months to arrange for these documents in your home country. There are several other documents needed at a later stage, and we will assist you accordingly.
1. Police clearance certificate. If you have lived in any other country in the past 10 years, you have to obtain, “certificate of no criminal record” in all the countries you have lived in the past 10 years. If you are in US, you will need to obtain police clearance from county and FBI. Please note that, police certificates must be less than six months old at the time you lodge your citizenship application.
2. Two Original birth certificates per person.
3. Documents which are not in English, must be officially translated.
4. Medical certificate with HIV clearance (not older than 3 months)
5. Certified copy of Marriage certificate.
6. Two References from a Lawyer, Banker or Accountant (not older than 3 months)
All the above documents must be certified and authenticated by Apostille. For more information on apostille, please see www.apostilleinfo.com. We can help you with arranging your documents in our office, for a fee.
I have 2 children of 16 years of age and 18 years of age? Will the due diligence to be carried out?
yes, due diligence will be carried out for children with 16 years or above. Further children above 18 years of age, need to provide evidence of college enrollment.
Do I have to live in St. Kitts and Nevis after acquiring citizenship?
No. You are not required to live in St. Kitts and Nevis but as a citizen you have every right to live and work in St.Kitts, whenever you want.
Is a personal visit required to St.Kitts to acquire passport?
No,you can get the passport without visiting St Kitts. But, if you prefer you can come to St.Kitts and get to know more on the investments here like real estate etc.
What are the reasons for rejection of application?
If you have previous criminal history, wanted person, or have visa denial from schengen/UK or the application already refused by another caribbean country, your citizenship application will be automatically rejected. Please disclose all your background information to the agent processing your application.
How do i come to St.Kitts? Do i need to apply for visa to enter St.Kitts?
Citizens of certain countries, do need to apply for visa for arrival in St.Kitts. For more information on this, please see http://www.mofa.gov.kn
How do i get to St.Kitts and Nevis and what are the flight routes?
For flight schedules, please refer to St.Kitts Tourism page: http://www.stkittstourism.kn
Does St Kitts report citizenship information to other countries?
NO. The Government does not report citizenship information to other countries.
Is Dual Citizenship Allowed?
The St Kitts & Nevis government has no restrictions on “dual citizenship” While, most countries prohibit dual citizenship, it depends on where you live and sometimes as per laws of your home country, you may need to give up one citizenship to acquire other.
For professional advice, please consult a embassy or lawyer in your home country on immigration and citizenships with respect to dual nationality.
What is your refund policy, should the citizenship application be denied?
yes, refunds are possible minus application and other service charges , should your application be denied by the government. Your investment amount is kept in a safe escrow account, until you get the citizenship approval from the Govt. We draft clear agreements on applicable fees and refund policy with our clients.
We are expecting a new baby and is it possible the new born baby get citizenship?
If husband and wife are both citizens of St.Kitts and Nevis, then the new born baby will automatically inherit the citizenship. If not you can add baby later by paying flat fee.
What are the requirements of becoming a Citizen by investment of St Kitts?
The main applicant:
- Must be at least eighteen years of age.
- Must have made an investment in the prescribed amount.
- Must meet other application requirements.
Can my family be included with my application?
Yes. All permitted dependents can be included in your application for economic citizenship.
Does the Programme recognize same sex marriage?
No. The laws of St Kitts and Nevis define “spouse” as the partner of the opposite sex by marriage.
Is living in St. Kitts and Nevis required in order to apply for citizenship?
No. Residing in St Kitts and Nevis is not required when applying for citizenship using the Citizenship by Investment Option.
How long does the application process take?
The application process may take as little as 90 days but may be delayed for cause. Applicants will be kept appraised of the status of their applications through their authorised person.
Is it possible to appeal against denials?
Yes, it is possible to appeal against denials but it is a long complicated legal process.
Can stateless persons apply for the Saint kitts passport?
Is dual citizenship a problem when i acquire St kitts nationality?
While most countries accept dual nationality, including St kitts, you should check this with your home country. These are some countries like China, India, UAE countries that does not allow dual or multiple citizenships.. Some countries require reporting of foreign citizenship. Please check with the lawyer
Is the application form available online?
No. The application form for citizenship by investment can only be obtained through and submitted to the Citizen by Investment Unit by an authorised agent or person.
Is there a minimum age requirement for an applicant?
The minimum age requirement for the main applicant is 18 years of age. Permitted dependents may be of any age.
What is the maximum amount of dependents allowed by a main applicant?
There is no numerical limit on the number of permitted dependents.
If I am no longer interested in becoming a citizen will my money be refunded?
First of all you have to pay the entire amount only if your application is approved by citizenship unit. If you decide to halt the process in the middle, initial payments anddue diligence fees and processing fees will not be refunded.
What are the fees involved?
All applicants and permitted dependents are required to pay due diligence and processing fees.
What is the minimum investment required if the real estate option is pursued?
The minimum real estate investment required is US$200,000.00 for each main applicant held for seven years .
Can an applicant remit fees directly to the Unit?
All applicants are required to pay processing, due diligence and Government fees through their chosen authorised agents. They will help with Wire transfers to the Government Citizenship Unit. You can pay by check or bank transfer
Does St Kitts and Nevis accept crypto payments?
No, only fiat payments are considered legal tender
Can two or more applicants apply for citizenship by investment together?
Yes. Two or more applicants may apply for citizenship together by purchasing one piece of real estate, provided each main applicant contributes the minimum investment of US$400,000.00.
What is a Police Certificate?
A police certificate refers to a statement from a national law enforcement authority on the status of a person’s criminal record. It is also referred to as “certificate of no criminal record or “police clearance record”
Who is required to produce a police certificate?
Each main applicant and all permitted dependents 16 years and older are required to produce a police certificate not older than 6 months where you have lived in countries for more than 6 months in the past 10 years.
Can I submit my application in a language other than English?
No. Applications that are not in English are not prescribed or accepted by the Citizenship by investment Unit.
Can I contact Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) directly?
The unit engages only with authorised persons. You can contact an authorised person with regards to questions pertaining to your application.
Where can i obtain Apostille?
You can see the authorities who issue apostille by country here: https://www.hcch.net/en/instruments/conventions/authorities1/?cid=41