About Citizenship and Residency
These are are the most frequently asked questions on Citizenship by investment (CBI), Golden Visas (GV) and other immigration schemes. Please keep in mind that the requirements may vary as per different countries and only the general questions are answered below.
We have compiled 100+ most popular questions and answers asked by clients.
If you have any questions, which need clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us.
What is Citizenship by Investment?
The Citizenship by Investment (CBI) is the process of acquiring fast track citizenship and passport by making investments. These investments can be in the form of donation or in real estate usually starts from $100,000. Family members also receive the citizenship perk. Although the CBI schemes have existed since 1980’s, the popularity picked up only after 2010, due to the rapid rise globalisation, tourism and more people wanting freedom of movement without visas.
Which is the Cheapest citizenship by investment?
Saint Lucia and Dominica are the cheapest CIP for one person. Antigua and Barbuda is the cheapest CBI program for families. Montenegro cheapest in Europe. Please use our price calculator to compare all programs in one place
What are fully refundable investments for CBI or Golden visa?
The following are fully refundable investments which you can get back after 5-6 years. Please note the minimum investment required is above 250K euros.
- Real estate – Buy back shares in hotels or resorts or residential properties (3%-4% yields as profits). Also possible to full title real estate if you expect rental returns or sell off the property with appreciation. If you buy shares you get tax advantage.
- Government bonds or securities – Fully refunded after 5 year lockout period (interest depends on program you apply)
- Bank cash deposit – Fixed deposit investments with interest
- Investment funds – Alternative or venture capital investments with 3-5% returns
- Mutual funds – Lumpsum investment with returns
- Company shares/stocks/bonds – Investment in acquiring corporate shares traded in stock exchange.
How much it costs to get citizenship or residency?
Prices start from USD 100,000 onwards for citizenship. EUR 250,000 for Golden visa programs. Additional are taxes, legal fee, government fee etc. We unfortunately do not assist clients for less than this.
Is Residency better than citizenship?
If you dont want citizenship or your country restricts dual nationality, then a GV residency program will work for you. Please seek legal advice with dual citizenship matters
Do you offer financing?
Yes, we do not offer financing for buying properties. Also we do not provide loans with real estate investment.
Do you organize meetings?
Yes. Our advisors frequently travel to client meetings and conferences in Europe, UK, USA, UAE, China, Vietnam, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, South Africa, Singapore, Hong Kong. Please contact us for appointment.
Who cannot apply for Golden visa programs?
Nationals of Iran, Russia, Belarus, Somalia, North Korea are restricted due to international sanctions. Please see the full list
Can i get Dual nationality with CBI schemes?
All CBI programs automatically allow dual citizenship. You have to check the legality of dual citizenship with your home country. Many countries in Asia prohibit dual nationality and traveling with multiple passports.
Can i apply for E-2 visa through CBI?
Yes you can apply for E-2 investor visa to enter US. Only Grenada, Turkey, Bulgaria, Montenegro have E-2 treaties signed with US. So if you become citizen of these countries you can apply at any US consulate near you.
Do you accept Bitcoin for citizenship?
We don’t, but some property developers we work with accept Bitcoin. Officially no government accepts crypto another problem banks do not accept crypto to fiat conversions. You will fail background checks.
Which countries offer EU citizenship by investment?
Malta has the only official EU Residency to citizenship by investment program. Montenegro is not part of European Union. Note the difference between EU and Europe.
Which is the Best Caribbean passport?
St Kitts, Grenada and St Lucia. These programs are complete CBI programs. St Kitts has the most powerful CBI passport with visa free to 155 countries. Grenada has visa waiver to China, Russia, UK/Ireland and also has E-2 treaty with United States. You can apply for E-2 non immigrant visa a better alternative to EB-5 as a Grenada citizen. No years of waiting unlike EB-5. Grenada and St Lucia are the only passport in the Caribbean that one can transfer citizenship to third generations, offers right to vote and hold government offices.
Which is the best golden visa scheme in Europe?
- Greece, Portugal for property investors and ultimately EU citizenship.
- United States, Singapore for HNWI clients
You can also check our golden visa rankings here
Can Iran nationals apply for CBI?
No as a result of western sanctions. Banks do not accept funds.
Which countries offer Citizenship by investment?
At present there are 14 countries that have official citizenship by investment programs. These are the current prevailing prices for citizenship and golden visa schemes.
Citizenship by Investment
|CBI||Price||Passport time||Visa free||Residence conditions||Passport validity|
|3 months||122||none||10 years|
|Montenegro||€350K (real estate + donation)
|Malta||€750K (Donation)||14 months||182||12 months||10|
|Cyprus||€2.15 million (real estate)
|7 months||173||6 months||10|
|St Kitts||$250K (donation)
$400K (real estate)
$200K (real estate)
|3 months||150||5 days||5|
$220K (real estate)
$200K (real estate)
|St Lucia|| $100K (donation)
$200K (real estate)
$300K (Govt bonds)
|North Macedonia||$200K (private investment)||3 months||125||none||10|
|Vanuatu||$130K (donation)||2 month||129||none||10|
|Turkey||$250K (real estate)||3-4 months||111||none||10|
|Bulgaria||$1M (bonds) closed||15- 20 months||169||2 years||10|
|Egypt||$250,000 (real estate)||3-6 months||49||10|
|Jordan||$1.5 million (capital investment)||6 months||51||10|
Which countries offer Golden visa programs?
There are more than 20 countries that offer golden visa schemes. These schemes only offer permanent residency (not citizenship) against investments.
|Golden Visa Program||Visa free||Minimum Capital Requirement||Time Frame|
|1||Portugal*||EU Residence permit||EUR 280,000 (real estate)||6-8 months|
|2||Malta||EU Permanent Residence|| Malta Residence Visa
EUR 100,000 (donation option)
EUR 300,000 (Real estate)To apply must prove 500,000 euro total net assets (eg. property, investments, cash) can be proven jointly
|3||Thailand||Residence Visa||THB 500,000 (USD 15,000)||Less than 1 month|
|Residence permit||GBP 2 million (investor) / GBP 100,000 (innovator entrepreneur)||Less than 2 months|
|5||United States||EB-5 Green card||USD 500,000 (from Nov 21, 2019)||18 to 24 months|
|6||Switzerland||Residence permit||Annual lump-sum tax payment of between CHF 150,000 and CHF 1 million dependent on the canton of residence||2 to 6 months|
|7||Canada Quebec||Permanent residence||CAD 1,200,000 (opens in april 2023)||18-40 months|
|8||Cyprus||Residence permit||EUR 300,000 (real estate)||2 months|
|9||Greece*||EU residence permit||EUR 250,000 (real estate)||3 months|
|10||Spain||EU residence permit||EUR 500,000 (real estate)||3 months|
|11||Ireland||Residence permit closed||EUR 500,000 (donation) or EUR 1 million (bonds)
To apply must prove 2 million euro total net assets
|12||Cayman Islands||Permanent residence||USD 1 million (business or real estate)||3 months|
|13||Italy||EU residence permit||EUR 500,000 (startup)||3 months|
|14||Czech Republic||EU residence permit||USD 3 million (business)||3 months|
|15||The Netherlands||EU residence permit||EUR 1.25 million (capital investment)||3 months|
|16||Latvia||EU residence permit||EUR 100,000 (business) or EUR 250,000 (real estate/bonds)||3 months|
|17||Bulgaria||Residence permit||EUR 300,000 (real estate)||3 months|
|18||Australia*||Investor visa||A$ 1,500,000||unknown|
|19||New Zealand||Investor stream||N$ 3,000,000||1 month|
|20||Luxembourg||Investor permit||EUR 500,000 (business)||3 months|
|21||Anguilla||Permanent residence||USD 150,000 (donation) or USD 750,0000 (real estate)||3 months|
* Most popular Golden visa (GV) schemes
Which CBI programs are closed now?
These programs are non-operational
- Moldova – closed
- Cyprus – closed from Nov 2020
- Bulgaria – closed
Is medical test report required?
Yes, for Caribbean programs you will need to provide original HIV test report from medical examiner. This is exempted for children under age of 12. The report must not be older than 3 months at the time of applications.
Do you assist with diplomatic passports?
Unfortunately we dont deal with sale of diplomatic passports.
Are you an authorized agent?
We are not agents. As an online platform, we work with trusted government appointed authorized agents. Our services are free of charge. We have been serving HNW clients since 2011.
Do i have to personally visit the collect passport?
No, you can collect CBI passport from your agent or at the consulate in your country.Some countries require Oath which also can be done at consulate. Your agent can also collect and hand over to you.
Is taking Oath required?
Yes, most countries require you to take oath. This is easy you can take oath at consulates infront of the passport officer who can visit you for additional fee.
St Kitts does not require Oath of allegiance. Vanuatu now permits taking oaths by video conferencing due to coronavirus outbreak
What is your broker fee for real estate?
We do not charge any fee for property buyers.
Which is the cheapest golden visa scheme in Europe?
Malta – EUR 100,000 (donation to state)
Greece – EUR 250,000 (real estate)
Portugal – EUR 280,000 (real estate in rural areas)
Which country has the fastest golden visa scheme?
Spain – 1 month
Portugal/Greece/Malta – 6 months
US EB-5 ($900K) – 1.5 years to 15 years
What is the difference between Golden visa vs Citizenship schemes?
Golden visas offer only residency, and do not offer immediate citizenship or passport. Therefore it will not make you a world citizen. There is a significant difference between golden visas and citizenship by investment schemes. Residence schemes are much preferred route to many who come from countries which do not allow dual citizenship (eg. India, China, Saudi Arabia, Japan etc..)
If you think dual citizenship is problem for you, then go for residency instead of citizenship. You dont need citizenship is not required all time. Seek advice from your lawyer.
|Difference||Golden visa||Golden passport|
|Type||Residence program||Citizenship program|
|Investment||Real estate||Donation/Real estate|
|Citizenship||After 5 years usually||Immediate (2-3 months)|
|Physical residence||One or two weeks||Usually none and no requirement to live or visit the country|
|Taxation||Residence based taxation||Citizenship based taxation|
|Family receive||Residence permits||Passports / Naturalization certificate|
|Right to vote||NO||Possible|
|Dual citizenship||NA||Restricted depending on the origin country. All CBI countries allow dual citizenship|
|Personal visit||Required||NO (yes for EU schemes)|
How to invest in real estate buyback shares?
We work with several real estate developers in Caribbean and Europe. Prices start from $200,000. You can also chose buyback shares fully refunded by property developer. You have to careful with investing in real estate. Never signup with property developers you dont know. Read some of our tips
Which countries accept stateless persons?
Not a lot. Stateless persons are accepted for citizenship by investment (CBI) schemes only by certain countries which are listed below
How do i start the process to apply?
To apply for CBI schemes , follow the steps
Please note services of Best citizenships are free of charge. We do not charge any fee to clients for CBI or Golden visas.
- Pay initial 50% agent fee charged by lawyers (Best citizenships does not charge any fee to clients).
- The authorized agent will help you with all the forms and documentation
- Pay the required government fee to file your application with the CBI Unit of Government
- Upon passing all background checks, the government citizenship unit will issue approval letter.
- Make full investment AFTER the government approval. That is Pay the full donation amount to government bank account (this only if you are approved, if you are rejected you dont need to pay)
- Collect your citizenship certificate or passport from your agent or at embassy
- Pay initial lawyer fee
- Lawyer will help you with the real estate acquisition (hotels, residential properties etc.) and acquiring required documents
- Make the full investment after your visa application is approved.
- If you can travel to Greece/Portugal (already have schengen visa) you can apply for long term residence permit at Migration office. If you apply from your home country, apply for schengen C/D visa the nearest consulate for investing in golden visa scheme.
- Collect your residence permit after arrival. This typically takes 3 months of processing time. Our lawyers will help you with this.
- Your family members also issued residence permits after you under family unification.
How do i renew CBI passports after expiry?
Your agent will help you with the renewal process. Since you are already a citizen, you have to pay a normal passport fee to renew your passport. You dont need to remake any investment.
What is the difference between Citizenship and Passport?
Only citizens are eligible for passports. In most countries first you need to get a citizenship or naturalization certificate as proof to be issued a passport. So first citizenship, then passport. The reverse is not true.
Second difference is only passport is a valid travel document. Citizenship certificate is not.
What CBI programs have limited quotas?
- Malta – 1500 applications in total (400 per year)
- Montenegro – 2000 applications (total)
- Cyprus – 700 applications (per year)
- Turkey – no quotas
- Vanuatu – no quotas
- Dominica, Grenada, Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia – no quotas
Which programs offer citizenship for buying Government bonds?
Saint Lucia, Turkey, Jordan, Vanuatu.
Are there any hidden hosts for CBI schemes?
First Agents will charge you due diligence plus 50% lawyer fee to start filing the application.
These are the different types of fees payable varies from one country to another
- Agent application fee (averages $10,000 depending on how many apply)
- Government application fee
- Due diligence fee
- Passport fee
- Bank charges (usually $200)
- Oath taking fee
- Passport issue fee
You only make the donation or real estate investment AFTER receiving the approval letter from the CBI unit which takes 2-3 months. Agents may also charge fee to renew your passport after expiry, and for other additional services.
Where can i compare the prices of CBI passport schemes?
We have developed a free online comparison price tool for various CBI schemes. You have idea of costs involved with family members.
Can i invest in hotels/resorts?
Certainly!You can buy in buyback hotel equity shares in a resort and qualify for passport. You can also invest in hotels and get a golden visa in Portugal or Greece.
There are several benefits in investing in hotels.
- Maintenance fully undertaken by hotel, relieving you of duties.
- You get 60% of room nightly fee as an investor as rental returns.
- You get 3 weeks of holiday package to stay in hotel you invested.
- Hotels are commercial investments which creates jobs and economic benefit to country.
- You can buy equity share or individual rooms/villas with fully deeded title. Prices start from $200K for equity share and $1m for single homes.
Which passports have visa free travel to US and Canada?
- Malta – United States and Canada (eTA required)
- Cyprus – Canada (eTA needed), United States (visa required)
- Bulgaria – Canada (eTA needed), United States (visa required)
- St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua – Visa or eTA required for Canada (Visa required for USA)
Which countries provide accelerated application processing?
No country at the moment.
What are the popular citizenship routes taken by most clients?
80% of our clients prefer donation route, 10% prefer real estate route, 10% prefer Government bonds, as the popular routes for citizenship through investment. Real estate is the best route, best you dont waste money, you get permanent resident card plus a local home address which is a genuine reason to acquire passport. You passport address will also have new home address.
Which is the cheapest real estate citizenship program in Caribbean?
Dominica and St Kitts have the cheapest USD 200,000 real estate investment for citizenship. St Lucia requires $300,000 and Grenada $220,000 property investment for passport. Antigua requires $220,000. You can buy limited shares starting from $200,000 and fully deeded properties cost more.
Which CBI countries have E-1/E-2 treaty with US?
These are the only countries have both Citizenship by investment (CBI) scheme and E-1 (trader) /E-2 (investor) treaties with United States
|Bulgaria||E-2||June 2, 1994|
|Grenada||E-2||March 3, 1989|
|Jordan||E-1/E-2||December 17, 2001|
|Moldova||E-2||November 25, 1994|
|Montenegro||E-1/E-2||November 15, 1882|
|Turkey||E-1||February 15, 1933|
|Turkey||E-2||May 18, 1990|
|Egypt||E-2||June 27, 1992|
What is the history of citizenship by investment schemes?
The history of citizenship for investment schemes goes way back to 1980’s where caribbean and pacific island countries started selling passports. You can see the infographic here
US launched immigrant investor scheme in 1990 approved by Congress followed by UK, Ireland and Canada.
Can i finance Government bonds?
Government bonds can be financed. This is because it is a guaranteed form of investment returned after 5 years. At the moment these are the only programs offer Government bonds or treasury securities to acquire citizenship. Cyprus, United Kingdom recently suspended option of Government bonds.
Citizenship by Investment (4 countries)
- Saint Lucia – $500,000
- Turkey – $500,000
- Egypt – $400,000
- Canada – $1.2 million (Quebec)
- Spain – €2 million
- Greece – €400,000
- Portugal – €1.5 million
- Italy – €2 million
- Latvia – €250,000
Are Government bonds better than real estate?
Government bonds purchased against citizenship, yield no interest during the lockout period of 5 years. The entire money will be given back after the expiry without interest and still you keep the citizenship for life without reinvesting. Many clients see this as “risk free” and “safe” investment compared to real estate investment which only be sold off after 5 years with gains depending on the market conditions. Rental yields are usually 4-5% in caribbean property market. So yes, increasing number of our clients are asking for bond option.
St Lucia offers citizenship for $300,000 purchase of National government bonds. Cyprus removed government bond option for citizenship in 2019, but still you can buy bonds/share issued by private companies.
Portugal, Spain, Greece also offer golden visas for investing in treasury securities (bonds, stocks etc.)
How to get instant citizenship for business investment?
1. Antigua offers citizenship against USD 1,500,000 million business investment in approved business projects such as resorts, spas, hotels, aquaculture etc as a sole investor (or) a joint investment involving at least 2 persons in an eligible business totalling at least USD 5,000,000 and each of those persons individually invests at least US$400,000
2. St Lucia – Enterprise investment of USD 3,500,000 in business projects.
What is the difference between Caribbean and European schemes?
Caribbean passport programs are cheap and best. European programs are very expensive, plus you have to wait for a long time to get EU passport. If you want to do short trips for stays within 3 months, between UK, Schengen countries, Hong Kong, Switzerland etc, a passport from Dominica or Antigua is more than enough.
Which is the best real estate gold visa program in Europe?
Greece is the most popular golden visa scheme requires 250,000 euro in real estate. Expect additional 10-15% costs. Greek real estate prices still remains lower compared to other EU countries.
Portugal golden visa scheme with 350,000 euro real estate purchase. Portugal citizenship in just 6 years for family and children. Spain,
Which is the best business immigration program in Europe?
Belgium or Germany. No residency requirement. In Belgium, citizenship possible after just 5 years. These are passive investment schemes. You must risk the capital in a business that creates jobs
Which country is the best for citizenship?
This is best answered based on safety and reputation of the country. UK, USA, European countries are well respected worldwide and so easily are the best passports to have, based on the country reputation and number of countries to travel without applying for visa. Caribbean passports are also good to have as second passport if you want to travel freely without worrying about applying for visas every time.
Best Passport Programs – Grenada , St Kitts, Dominica, Antigua & Barbuda, Cyprus
Popular Residency Programs – Greece,, Portugal, Ireland, UK, Canada, USA
Which country offers the fastest passport for investments?
Vanuatu – 1.5 months
Caribbean – 3-4 months
Cyprus : more than 6 months
Malta – more than 12 months
Are there any investor programs running in Switzerland?
No investor programs currently running in Switzerland.
If you have USD 1 million or more, you can apply for swiss residency under business route or retire under lump sum tax. The problem with Switzerland is you have to live 12 years to get Swiss passport or EU citizenship. Another simple route is, apply for citizenship Cyprus or Malta, get EU citizenship for family from them, you can go to Switzerland and live there as EU citizen with equal rights. Of course, this is not restricted to Switzerland, you as EU citizen can live in any 26 schengen member states such as Germany, France, Denmark, Italy, Spain etc..
Do i have to physically move there, if i apply for UK, USA or Canada?
Yes. USA, UK and Canada programs are only interesting if you want to move physically to these countries as they impose impose residency requirements. If you dont like moving there or cant satisfy residency requirements (must spend 9 months every year), then these programs are not for you. Please note US taxes based on worldwide income. After the Brexit, investing in UK not attractive as it was before.
What is the difference between St Kitts and Antigua passport?
The main differences and comparison between the 2 programs is as follows:-
1. St. Kitts needs more processing time (4 months) compared to Antigua (3 months)
2. St Kitts passport has initial validity for 10 years while for Antigua 5 years.
3. Saint Kitts Nevis (SKN) has no residency requirement – however, Antigua/Barbuda (A&B;) requires the applicant to spend an average of a week per year (just 5 days over 5 years) over the duration of the validity of their first passport. Hence you would have to be 5 days in Antigua within the next five years. You can chose when and how long as long as the total will be at least 5 days. Antigua requires an applicant to swear an oath of allegiance either in A&B; or at an official A&B; locations around the world (e.g. embassy or consulate office). This can be done upon a trip to Antigua.
4. Antigua & Barbuda has access to 150 countries visa-free, St. Kitts & Nevis has 131. The difference lies with the following 6 countries. Antigua has visa free travel to Ukraine and South Africa (SKN does not). St. Kitts & Nevis has visa free travel to Tonga, Israel, Bangladesh and Argentina (Antigua does not)
Can i apply for US/Canada visas with Caribbean passports?
Yes, you can apply at the nearest consulate where you live. For Canada you can qualify for eTA Canada visa waiver, if you already held a visa.
What programs involve 100% real estate investment?
Portugal – EUR 280,000 (real estate)
Spain – EUR 500,000 real estate investment (golden visa)
Antigua – – $200,000 Real estate
St Kitts – $200,000 Real estate
Dominica – $200,000 real estate
Grenada – $220,000 real estate
St Lucia – $200,000 real estate
Greece – EUR 250,000 real estate
Malta – EUR 300,000 real estate
Please note that additional costs are involved in addition to the real estate investment.
Which GV programs have minimum residency requirements?
It depends on the country you apply. Here is the quick summary..
- Greece, Spain, Ireland, Malta – None
- Portugal – 7 days per year
- St Kitts, Vanuatu, Dominica, Grenada, St Lucia – None
- Antigua and Barbuda – 5 days.
- Cyprus – 6 months
- Malta – 12 months (citizenship only)
- UK – 9 months per year residency requirement to apply for british passport after 5 years
- USA – Spend atleast 50% of time in US if you want US passport after 5 years.
- Canada – 3 years of residence (inkl of 2 year PR) to apply for Canadian passport.
- Switzerland – 10 years for PR and 12 years for Swiss passport.
Which CBI program has high refusal rates?
Malta have high refusal rates. All applicants are subjected to rigorous diligence checks, failing which application will be refused.
What is the difference between a Visa and Residence permit (RP)?
Visas are issued for short term stays maximum 90 days with one,two or multiple entries. Residence permits have long term residency status valid for 3 months or more, with unlimited entry/exit status. Visas can only be renewed at the consulate/embassy in home country, whereas RP can be renewed in that country which issued your RP.
|Visa||Residence Permit||Permanent Residence Permit|
|Validity||90 days (short term)||1-2 years (long term)||5-10 years (long term) with right to live indefinitely|
|Renewal||Only at embassy in your home country||Only at migration office in the country||Only at migration office|
|Processing time||1 week||3 months||4-6 months|
|Rent a House||not required||required||required|
What is Naturalisation?
Naturalisation means you live certain number of years (residency) in a third country to become a citizen.
What is the difference between Residence permit (RP), Permanent residency (PR) and Citizenship?
Resident permits are issued for immigrants for the purpose of “long term residency” (more than 3 months) and its validity is time based (1 or 2 years), whereas citizenship gives absolute freedom in the country to live indefinitely, with equal rights to work and vote. PR status given to immigrants who had uninterrupted living 5 years or more. PR cards have 5 or 10 year validity periods and can be prolonged thereafter. You may NOT be absent from the country more than 180 days holding PR, which is not the case with RP. RP holders, unlike PR, are free to enter and exit country anytime. No restrictions imposed on being absent from the country. Please also note that if you hold a citizenship or PR, you may be taxed on worldwide income, which is not the case with RP holders.
Do you organize meetings?
Our advisors frequently travel to many countries to attend conferences and meet investors. We can arrange meetings in Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, London, Zurich, Shanghai, Mumbai, Pakistan and Vietnam to discuss. We ask you to schedule an appointment by using this contact form
What are the advantages getting second citizenship in Europe?
- Visa free travel to EU schengen countries.
- Strong Business presence in EU
- Tax planning
- Rich lifestyles and high standard of living.
- European residence (2nd home)
Are there restrictions on who can apply?
If you are national of Somalia, North Korea, Iran, Yemen you cannot apply for certain programs.
What are the eligibility conditions for the CIP programs?
- No criminal record and good character
- No involvement financial fraud
- Good financial status.
- Pass due diligence and background checks.
- Excellent business background
- Good references from lawyers, bankers
- Clean travel record without visa denials
What services you provide with residence and citizenship?
We offer the following services to our clients in Europe and Caribbean.
- Business & Company formation
- Real estate consulting
- Housing Accommodation
- Residence permits
- Immigration, Passport and citizenship services
- Tax planning and fiduciary services
- Investment advice
- Assistance with government and municipality formalities
Do you accept Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies?
We don’t sorry.
Are refused applications shared between CIU’s?
Yes, the refused or denied applications are and notified and shared between Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIUs) of CBI countries. The Governments are working on a common framework so that if one applicant is refused in one CBI country, they cannot apply for other CBI schemes.
See the reasons for refusal
Is dual citizenship allowed with CBI schemes?
ALL CBI countries allow dual citizenship.
While most developed countries have no restrictions on dual nationality, others prohibit dual citizenship, it depends on where you live and sometimes as per laws of your home country, you may need to give up one citizenship to acquire other. Please keep in mind that in certain countries like Saudi Arabia, it is illegal or criminal offence to hold dual/multiple citizenships. US allows having dual nationalities or multiple citizenships, but US citizens have to pay taxes irrespective of where they live..
With citizenship by investment (Cbi) schemes , if you come from a country where dual citizenship is not allowed (eg. India, China, GCC countries), we ask you seek legal advice in your country. If you cannot apply for second citizenship or dont need a passport, you can always apply for residency schemes in Portugal and Greece.
To check which country allow and dont allow dual citizenship, please refer to this site here
For professional advice, please consult a embassy or lawyer in your home country on immigration and citizenships with respect to dual nationality.
Can chinese citizens acquire dual citizenship?
No. As with chinese, voluntarily naturalizing in a foreign country results in automatic loss of Chinese (PRC) citizenship. Since you are no longer a Chinese citizen, you can no longer use your Chinese passport as proof of Chinese citizenship to enter China, even if the passport is unexpired. You must get a Chinese visa to visit China, and usually when you apply for your first Chinese visa, the Chinese consulate will ask for and cancel your Chinese passport. China is also one of those countries that has exit checks
Is personal visit required?
It depends on the country you apply. No personal visit required for Caribbean schemes. Personal visit required for European passports and Golden visa schemes for biometrics and signing documents.
These schemes do not require personal trips to the country.
|St Kitts and Nevis||No|
|Antigua||No, but when you renew passport after 5 years you must visit Antigua for 5 days.|
Do you have refund policy?
yes, we do have clear refund policy and it will be clearly specified in the agent agreement less all applicable fees.
What documents need to be Apostilled or Super legalized?
Collecting proper documents is a tedious job for citizenship consultants. We ask our clients to start 2 months in advance to prepare all the paperwork.
An apostille seal is required in these documents in order to be accepted by international authorities. Simple notarization will not work. Once the document has apostille seal, it can be officially used in 83 countries. You can find list of countries and issuing authorities here
- Marriage Licenses, Divorce agreements, Divorce Decree
- Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Death Certificates
- Single Status to Marry, No record of a Marriage
- Criminal Record – Criminal Background Check
- FBI Criminal Background Check (Federal Document)
- Local Police, Sheriff’s Department, etc…
- Power of Attorney – General, Special, Finance, Real Estate etc.
- Notarized copies of Passport, Affidavits, and other documents
- Papers for Adoption purposes
- Transcripts (High School, College, University, or any other issuing agency)
- Diploma, Degree Certificates, Graduation Records
- Permission to Travel, Consent by Parent(s) to travel with Minor Children
- Certificate of Naturalization (Federal Document)
- Articles of Incorporation, Certificate of Incorporation
- Merger Agreements
- Authorization letter for Bank, Finance, Office, and related company matters
- Certificates of Amendment
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Power of Attorney
- Certificate of Incumbency
- Corporate Resolution
- Certification of Free Sale
- Certificate of Origin
- Certificate of Analysis
- Corporate Forms
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Stock Purchase Agreement in Foreign Companies
- Business Letter of Invitation
Which countries will open citizenship by investment in the future?
These 9 countries may open Citizenship by investment (CBI) schemes in the future.
- St Vincent and Grenadines
Often changing politics and new governments have a decide on whether to run a citizenship for sale scheme or not. The Caribbean is very supportive of CBI schemes. 5 of 7 OECS countries already run CBI schemes. Read more here
How do i use second passports at borders?
Traveling with one or more passports is quite common and thousands of people do it every day.
If you happen to be a citizen of more than one country, chances are that you are going to have dual or multiple passports from those countries. Often this might be confusing. In many cases you can use one passport to exit A and a different passport to enter B.
These are the rules you must follow and using the right passport is important.
- You must enter and exit using the same passport.
- Citizens must use the same passport for entry and exit. For example, US citizens who are dual nationals must use US passport to enter and exit US.
- Countries which do not permit dual citizenship, do not allow traveling or holding multiple passports.
Use of second passport works best, if you live or travel through a neutral third country, eg Dubai, Hong Kong etc. where you can swap passports. For example, Malaysia does not accept dual citizenship, so dual-citizen Malaysians often travel via Singapore. Read more here
Besides these, modern passports hold biometric data, so it is possible immigration officers know about passports with different nationalities.
Note: This is not a legal advice, for information purpose only!
Which CBI countries offer right to vote?
Please refer to the full list here
|Dominica||Yes (must have lived for 12 months)|
|St Kitts and Nevis||No|
|Vanuatu||DSP scheme (no)
Which CBI countries require taking Oath?
All CBI countries except St Kitts require taking Oath of Allegiance in front of Notary Public, Justice of Peace or Commissioner of Oaths. For Vanuatu, you can take Oath in Vanuatu or infront of passport or immigration officer, who can visit you for additional fee.
|Antigua||Yes (also for renewals)|
|St Kitts and Nevis||No|
Which countries permit name change through deed poll?
Name change is permitted by St.Lucia, Grenada, St Kitts & Nevis, if deed poll is submitted from country of birth. Antigua does not allow name change within 5 years of citizenship (possible after five years). Vanuatu allows after receiving citizenship through affidavit. Dominica permits name change only after maintaining residency.
A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name.
Does Pakistan allow Dual citizenship with the Caribbean CBI programs?
No. Pakistan does not allow dual citizenship with Caribbean CBI countries such as Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts, Grenada or St Lucia. Pakistanis can hold dual citizenship only with these 19 countries as Government of Pakistan has signed dual citizenship arrangement with these countries.
Which CBI countries have no personal income tax?
Vanuatu, St Kitts and Antigua have zero personal income tax on all categories. Grenada, Dominica, St Lucia, Cyprus exempt personal income tax on non-resident citizens from foreign income.
Which countries publish names of CBI citizens to public?
- Malta – Gazette
- Dominica – Gazette
All other CBI countries, protect the names of citizens from disclosing to public.
When EU is imposing electronic travel authorization (eTA)?
EU will be imposing electronic travel authorization system ETIAS from 2024 onwards to enter schengen area. This will effect all visa waiver countries to enter schengen area. You cannot board the plane without this online authorization paying 7 EUR.
- These passports require ETIAS authorization: US, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom etc.
- These CBI passports also require ETIAS authorization: Moldova, Montenegro, Vanuatu, Dominica, Antigua, St Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Grenada
ETIAS will not apply to these people
- EU/EEA member states incl Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus
- Residence permit holders from Schengen states including permits issued under Golden visa schemes.
- Schengen visa holders.
Which countries are not listed in OECD list of CBI/RBI schemes?
OECD as listed 8 CBI countries for to comply with CRS requirements with banks. This means if you have a passport from these 8 countries, you have to declare tax residency status from all jurisdictions, when you open a bank account in a foreign country. These eight countries are : Malta, Cyprus, Dominica,Grenada, St Lucia, Antigua, St Kitts, Vanuatu.
- Turkey, Moldova and Montenegro are not listed in the OECD list.
- Portugal, Greece, Spain, Ireland, UK offering golden visa schemes are not listed
OECD may list some countries in the future. Please follow the updates.
Does Montenegro participate in CRS reporting?
Montenegro is the only country currently that does not exchange bank account information with tax authorities through CRS. All other CBI countries participate in CRS reporting. This may change in the future.
Which countries offering citizenship by investment has no extradition treaty with US?
- No Extradition treaty: Moldova, Vanuatu
- Extradition Treaty : Antigua, Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts, Montenegro, Malta, Bulgaria, Cyprus
Read more here
Which CBI program that does not have FATCA signed?
Vanuatu. All other countries have FATCA agreements with US
Can dual citizens seek consular protection abroad?
Dual nationals may have limited diplomatic protection according to the principle set forth by the 1930 Hague Convention that a state may not afford diplomatic protection to one of its nationals against a state whose nationality such person also possesses. If you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you can’t get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China, according to Home office