Vanuatu is a major financial center in the backyard of Australia and New Zealand. Vanuatu is also a popular tropical holiday destination for travelers .
Vanuatu offers economic citizenship program to foreign investors. There are two citizenship schemes currently available for fast track citizenship in Vanuatu.
- Second passport in a commonwealth pacific country.
- Right to live, work and do business in Vanuatu as a citizen.
- Visa free travel to 113 countries including Russia, United Kingdom and EU Schengen states.
- Citizenship in a commonwealth country with close relations to Australia/ New Zealand.
- Citizenship for spouse, children and parents.
- Fastest Citizenship processing time less than 30 days.
- No residence requirements for citizenship.
- Opportunity to Invest or trade in Vanuatu business or enterprise projects
- No income tax for individuals/ companies.
- No death duty levied. No capital gains tax. No estate taxes.
- English is official language
- Dual citizenship not restricted freely allowed
- Citizenship for family and children
Vanuatu has only donation options available.
- Vanuatu Citizenship Contribution Program (VCP).
- Honorary Citizenship Development Support Program (DSP).
- Vanuatu Real Estate Option (REO) Program (Coming soon)
Vanuatu has the fastest processing times for passport among all the citizenship by investment programs. Processing time is less than a month
|Vanuatu DSP program costs in USD|
|Married Couple + 1 Child under 18||$165,000|
|Married Couple + 2 Children under 18||$180,000|
* Note: Govt prescribed price for DSP program
|Additional application fees for additional family members|
|Each additional child (aged under 18 years)||USD$10,000|
|Each dependent child aged between 18 to 25||USD$10,000|
|Each dependent adult over 50 years old||USD$10,000|
All applicants had to go through background checks for criminal activity, including police and Interpol checks before being granted passport of Vanuatu.
|FIU due diligence fee||US$ 5000 per application|
|Passport stamp fee||
USD 500 (for individual)
|Passport application||USD 250 / per person|
Citizenship may be revoked later if found engaged in fraud or illegal activities.
- FIU due diligence check – 4 days
- DSP Approval Letter – 20 days
- Passport time – 7 days (after approval)
All Vanuatu citizenship applications are assessed on two benchmarks and must follow the basic eligibility criteria
- Pass the Vanuatu Financial Intelligence Unit Due Diligence check, and
- Clients’ proof of financial assets held that should be a minimum of USD 250,000 or more.
The application form is free to download from Vanuatu citizenship commission website. Before you apply through authorized agent, we recommend to be ready by completing the application form.
Please attach copies of passport, id cards, police certificate and health certificate.
How to Apply
Follow these simple steps to apply for vanuatu citizenship
- Prepare all the necessary documents (passports, police clearance, health certificate etc) along with the nomination application
- Pay initial USD 5,000 application to start the due diligence process.
- File your application through authorized DSP agent
- Wait for 2 weeks to receive your approval in principle letter from Vanuatu Citizenship commission (VCC)
- Pay the full investment USD 130,000 or more depending on whether you apply as one person or family. Do not make the full investment if you dont receive approval from VCC.
- Receive your Letter of approval for citizenship.
- Take an oath online or video conferencing
- Receive your citizenship certificate and passport at the nearest Vanuatu consulate.
- Vanuatu CBI – Download pdf
- Vanuatu Special Edition – Download pdf
- Vanuatu DSP Brochure – Download pdf
- On 24th April 2019, the Citizenship (Development Support Program) Regulations Order NO.33 of 2019 came into effect and apart from its extended definition section and detailed procedures entailed, a new threshold of selling prices USD 130,000 endorsed which needed to be respected by all Agents which warranted strict compliance in order to avoid penalty, even revocation.
- New Vanuatu passports issued from June 2019 will be valid for 10 years (instead of 5 years) with latest security features.
- Agent Contracts has been extended to 8 years.
- Honorary citizenship removed from citizenship certificates. New regulations allowing either the Chairman of the Commission or the Prime Minister to sign the required documents cancelling out the “honorary” terminology as both passports are the same.
- Applications of persons with criminal records will not be accepted.
Vanuatu has made amendments to CIP legislation on March 27, 2020. Some of the most important changes include
- Due diligence fee increased to $5000 (from $2000)
- FIU processing times now 96h (instead of 48h)
- Tighter scrutiny of applications through third party due diligence firms
Vanuatu Government officially does not accept Bitcoin as legal tender. You have to convert to fiat and pay through bank account to satisfy the USD 250,000 net asset requirement. All fees must be paid in US dollars or Euros. Some agents and property developers do accept Bitcoin for citizenship. Please contact us for more information.
All applicants must pass due diligence checks done by FIU unit of Vanuatu government before being issued of citizenship certificates and passports.
- DSP/VCP Agents authorized by unit conduct the frontline due diligence by understanding the background of the applicants and the source of funds, criminal background.
- Agents submit applications including valid passport, police or judicial clearance, Curriculum Vitae (VC) and any such requested documents are then submitted to the FIU where the due diligence process completed within 48 hours and a written finding to the Citizenship Screening Committee.
- FIU checks for for criminal conviction, FIU utilises several globally reputable screening databases in its due diligence process including checking INTERPOL database or past criminal conviction records , global blacklisting, sanctions, financial disqualification, corporate solvency, terrorism, individual bankruptcy and political-affluent persons.
- FIU also monitors of all successful applicants in the Program with re-screeing of checks and provides reports to Vanuatu citizenship commission (VCP) for adverse reports.
- VCP recommends the applicant to Prime Ministers office, for honorary citizenship
- Citizenship and passport issued to all successful applicants.
How to Start?
1. Engagement letter: Customer choose the date of lawyers visit and pay initial deposit.
2. Lawyers visit.: One of our lawyers visit the client and help to fill out all forms and certify docs.
3. Pre-approval: After FIU check, client pays 30% of the amount and balance only once approved.
4. Get passport: Passport and citizenship certificate can be collected or we will arrange delivery.
Nationals of following countries are restricted from applying for Vanuatu DSP and VCP schemes, unless they have lived abroad as permanent resident for more than 5 years.
- North Korea.
Foreigners who apply for Vanuatu citizenship under DSP/VCP have restricted privileges as below. These rights are only enjoyed by indigenous citizens
Article 13 (3) of Vanuatu constitution states, “For the purposes of protecting the national sovereignty of Vanuatu, a holder of dual citizenship must not;
- Hold or serve in any public office;
- Be involved in Vanuatu politics;
- Fund activities that would cause political instability in Vanuatu;
- Affiliate with or form any political parties in Vanuatu;
- Stand as a candidate and vote at any of the following elections: (i) general election for Members of Parliament; (ii) Provincial election for members to a provincial Government Council and (iii) municipal election for members to a Municipal Council.
Vanuatu passport has visa free travel to 128 countries, ranked 40th powerful passport in the world in Henley passport index 2018.
Vanuatu signed a mutual visa waiver agreement with Schengen Area countries on 28 May 2015.. Citizens of Vanuatu can travel without visa to
- EU schengen states
- United Kingdom
A visa is required to visit United States, Canada, Mexico, UAE etc.
Download full list of visa waiver list of countries in pdf format
Vanuatu is a Pacific island country located in the South Pacific Ocean with a population of 270,000. Vanuatu is a Y-shaped archipelago consisting of about 82 relatively small, geologically newer islands of volcanic origin (65 of them inhabited). The four mainstays of the economy are agriculture, tourism, offshore financial services, and raising cattle. There is substantial fishing activity, although this industry does not bring in much foreign exchange.
Tourism brings in much-needed foreign exchange. Vanuatu is widely recognised as one of the premier vacation destinations for scuba divers wishing to explore coral reefs of the South Pacific region. A further significant attraction to scuba divers is the wreck of the US ocean liner and converted troop carrier SS President Coolidge on Espiritu Santo island. Sunk during World War II, it is one of the largest shipwrecks in the world that is accessible for recreational diving.
In Vanuatu, there is no income tax, withholding tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax, or exchange control.
These are the most important questions we have compiled regarding Vanuatu citizenship scheme for investors.
How much is Vanuatu citizenship?
The Government has fixed all inclusive minimum prices for DSP/VCP schemes: $130,000 for single applicant, $150,000 (couples) and $165,000 (family of 3 one child) and $180,000 (family of 4 with two children). Includes agent and lawyer fee. No other additional costs apply.
How much time it takes for the Vanuatu passport?
The processing times is 1 month, if all the documents in order. No personal visit required
Is Vanuatu a tax free country?
Vanuatu no income, wealth or inheritance tax
What are the visa free countries using Vanuatu passport?
The Ni-Vanuatu passport has visa free access to 130 countries including Schengen area, United Kingdom and Ireland, Russia, Israel, Singapore etc.
What makes Vanuatu citizenship by investment unique?
“Vanuatu is the only pacific country that runs official CBI program. It is a tax free and one of few countries in the world free of Covid-19
Can i invest in real estate for citizenship?
No. At present only donation route is available through DSP/VCP schemes. Real estate is not attached to citizenship by investment.
Do i need to visit Vanuatu to receive passports?
No, you can collect citizenship certificate along with passport from your authorized agent or at Vanuatu consulates worldwide.
How much time it takes to receive passport?
Currently Vanuatu has the fastest processing time among all other CBI programs.
Vanuatu – 1.5 months
Caribbean – 3-4 months
Europe – 6-15 months
Do i need to pay full investment at the start?
No. First you 10% of the initial payment, rest ONLY after the letter of approval is issued by Vanuatu citizenship commission.
Is Oath of allegiance required to be granted citizenship/passport?
Yes, you can take oath by visiting Vanuatu or at the consulate or an immigration officer to come visit your authorized agents office. It takes 30 minutes to take the oath.There is an additional charge of $5000 for an office visit.
What is FIU check?
The Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) of Vanuatu does background checks of all citizenship investors and their family members against sanctions, criminal record, Interpol database and source of funds. Only applicants who pass these checks will be granted citizenship under DSP/VCP schemes.
The fee for FIU check is $2000 per person/adults. In most cases this check is completed within 7 days.
Can stateless people apply for Vanuatu citizenship by investment?
Are there any restricted countries who cannot apply for DSP citizenship program?
Iran, Iraq, Syria, North Korea and Yemen cannot apply for Vanuatu CBI program. The Vanuatu Citizenship commission may accept applications from restricted countries if the applicant shows that he or she (1) has not resided in the restricted country for the past 5 years; and (2) provides evidence of permanent residency abroad.
What is the difference between DSP and VCP schemes?
The key difference between two programs is DSP scheme offers honorary citizenship, while VCP offers ordinary citizenship. Both schemes do not offer right to vote according to the Constitution of Vanuatu. Dual citizens cannot vote or hold public offices without meeting a ten-year residency requirement.
Constitution of Vanuatu explicitly states that holders of Dual Citizenship must not: (a) hold or serve in any public office; and (b) be involved in Vanuatu politics; and (c) fund activities that would cause political instability in Vanuatu; and (d) affiliate with or form any political parties in Vanuatu; (e) stand as a candidate and vote at any of the following elections: (i) general election for Members to Parliament; and (ii) provincial election for members to a Provincial Government Council; and (iii) municipal election for members to a Municipal Council.
These restrictions do not apply to native or naturalized or born nationals in Vanuatu.
Are there any quotas for Vanuatu CIP?
Is name change is allowed?
Only after getting your citizenship. You have to apply with affidavit for name change explaining with reasons for name change.
Do you arrange meetings in Dubai?
Yes, you can visit our agent office anytime.
Can the Vanuatu passport renewed after expiry?
Yes, you can at the consulate or the passport office in Vanuatu. Dont forget you also need a Vanuatu birth certificate to renew. Apply for this well before renewal.
Which countries can i visit visa free using Vanuatu passport?
These are the important visa free countries you can visit using Vanuatu passport
|Visa free countries||Visa required countries|
|EU schengen states
Australia / New Zealand
Are you an authorized agent?
We work with a trusted authorized agent approved by Government of Vanuatu.
How long is the vanuatu passport valid for issued under DSP/VCP scheme?
As of 2019, the validity increased to 10 years. You can renew your passport by paying small passport issue fee ($60). Citizenship is issued for lifetime.
How much time it takes to receive Vanuatu passport?
Please allow 30-60 days maximum or maximum 1.5 months. You can speed up your application by making sure that all documents are valid and correct
- Application processing: Less than 1 month
- FIU check: 2 weeks
- Passport time: 1 week
You can collect passports through your authorized agent.
Does Vanuatu offer commonwealth citizenship?
Yes, Vanuatu is a commonwealth country and all citizens are commonwealth citizens. Commonwealth citizens may receive consular assistance from British embassies and consulates in foreign non-Commonwealth nations where their home countries have not established diplomatic or consular posts.
How do i travel to Vanuatu by air?
You can fly to Port Vila’s Bauerfield International airport (VLI) directly from, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Solomon.
National carrier Air Vanuatu operates regular services to Port Vila from Auckland, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Noumea and Nadi. Air Vanuatu also provides domestic services to a number of islands in Vanuatu. Other airlines operating to Vanuatu include Air Calin, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia, Fiji Airways, Solomon Airlines, and Air Niugini.
Does Vanuatu guarantee citizenship for investors?
The Granting of Ni-Vanuatu citizenship is at the sole discretion of the government. You have to pay the full amount, only after receiving approval letter from the Citizenship commission.
Does Vanuatu publish names of CBI citizens to public or report to other countries?
No. Privacy is guaranteed to investors and names not published in Gazette and not reported to other countries
Does Vanuatu has any physical residence conditions?
No. There is no required to visit or live in Vanuatu after receiving your passport.
What documents are required?
You will need these important documents ready to start the process. We ask you apply in advance of 2 months.
- Police certificate of no criminal record
- Original passport + certified copies
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificates
- References and bank statements
- Health certificate with medical clearance
All documents must have APOSTILLE seal to be accepted in Vanuatu. Vanuatu is a member of Hague convention, so any document issued by a country abroad must have apostille seal to be accepted in Vanuatu.
Can Vanuatu revoke citizenship of investors?
Yes, if found to be involved in fraud, concealment, or wanted by interpol or other law enforcement agencies.
Can i get permanent resident card?
You need to rent a place for housing or buy a property to receive permanent resident card.
Can i open a bank account in Vanuatu?
Yes. There are 3 popular banks in Vanuatu. These are ANZ bank, BSP (Bank of South Pacific) and BRED bank.
Is Vanuatu an offshore tax haven?
Vanuatu has zero corporate tax, no income tax, no capital gains tax, no estate tax, no wealth tax, no withholding tax, no gift tax and no other personal income taxes. Vanuatu has 15% VAT (Value added Tax or GST) on all goods & services. On 26 June 2018, Vanuatu joins OECD international efforts against tax evasion and avoidance. Vanuatu implemented CRS tax reporting standard with banks sharing the tax details of customers in 2018