Bermuda has opened a new golden visa residency program in 2021 issuing economic residency for HNWI investors for substantial investments.
Bermuda welcomes eligible HNW persons to make expressions of interest in the Economic Investment Certificate (EIC) scheme. The certificate encourages and enables high net worth individuals to make substantial economic investments into Bermuda.
The Economic Investment Certificate provides you and your family the opportunity of living and working on island for five years to see your investment prospects realised. After which, you are eligible to apply for the Residential Certificate (RC) for the right to reside in Bermuda indefinitely.
The Economic Investment Certificate and the Residential Certificate policy is designed to stimulate economic activity, create the environment for job creation, and help market Bermuda as a place to reside and do business. The objective of the policy is to fully harness Immigration as one of many tools for creating economic growth for Bermuda while taking into account our limited space and ensuring that Bermudians fully benefit.
Investments may be made in one or more investment categories and benefits for investors include residency rights, among other benefits.
The Government of Bermuda has partnered with the Bermuda Business Development Agency to provide a Concierge service for interested and highly qualified individuals.
Effective 1 March 2021, this policy shall replace the 2015 Residential Certificate Policy and the 2003 Residential Certificate Policy
- Safe and secure destination from a political, economic, and personal perspective.
- Wealthiest islands in the Caribbean/Atlantic region
- Great location with excellent flight connections globally connected to US/UK/Canada (just 90 minute flight to New York)
- English is primary language. Open, accessible and business-friendly
- Bermudian Dollar is par with US dollar in a highly respected bluechip financial center.
- Competitive tax regime.
- A leading trust jurisdiction that has been providing fiduciary services for private clients for more than 100 years.
- Pristine pink sand beaches and world renowned for natural beauty.
- Top tier education and healthcare systems.
If granted, the applicant will be issued an Economic Investment Certificate (“EIC”) for a five (5) year period, an EIC holder shall have the right to:
- Reside and seek employment in Bermuda;
- Have his/her spouse and/or dependents (defined as their children 18 years or younger or 18 to 25 if enrolled in higher education (a “dependent”) reside in Bermuda; and
- An automatic approval to work in any business to which he/she may have invested. At five years, the EIC holder would be eligible to apply for a Residential Certificate (“RC”) pursuit to subsection 32(5) of BIPA.
The RC enables the holder, his/her spouse and/or dependents to reside in Bermuda for an indefinite period
For the purposes of this Policy, a “Qualifying Investment” means an investment of not less than BD$ 2,500,000 (US$2.5 million)(or the equivalent in another currency or asset) in one or more of the following investment routes:
- Bermuda situs real estate, whether residential or commercial;
- Purchase of Bermuda Government bonds to be held for a minimum of five years;
- Contribute to Bermuda’s Sinking Fund for the purpose of Debt Reduction;
- Contribute to the Bermuda Trust Fund;
- Donate to a Bermuda Registered charity in the areas of sports development, youth, seniors and health;
- A direct or indirect equity investment in an existing Bermuda based business, including BSX listed entities, but excluding where the investment is limited to holding listed securities in exempted undertakings;
- Investment in the development and launch of a new Bermuda based business; or
- Other social or useful venture that benefits Bermuda, Bermudians and things Bermudian as may be determined by the Minister.
Application fee of $2,625 will be charged for the issuance of such a certificate.
An EIC holder must apply for a license to hold or acquire land. An EIC holder may purchase any residential or commercial property in compliance with BIPA as it applies to non-Bermudians.
Qualifying Investments shall be maintained at a minimum threshold value of $2,500,000 by the specific EIC holder for at least 5 years. The EIC holder shall reside in Bermuda for a minimum of 90 days in each calendar year for 5 years after the granting of an EIC. At five years, an EIC holder who has met all the established criteria is entitled to apply for an RC.
Residency certificate will be revoked, if
- Holder of an EIC failed to maintain a Qualifying Investment during the five year period; or
- Holder of an EIC failed to maintain the necessary financial means and/or for him/herself and any sponsored dependents to reside in Bermuda; or
- Holder of an EIC was not physically present in Bermuda a minimum of 90 days in each calendar year for five consecutive years after the granting of the EIC; or
- The EIC was obtained by fraud, false pretense or the concealment of a material fact; or 5. the holder of an EIC is convicted of an indictable offence in Bermuda or is convicted of an offence outside Bermuda which if committed in Bermuda, would have been an indictable offence; or
- Holder of an EIC is convicted, whether in Bermuda or elsewhere, of an offence which shows moral turpitude; or
- Sponsored dependents are engaging in gainful occupation in breach of BIPA; or
- Spouse, partner or dependents or others have been residing with the holder of an EIC without the Minister’s permission; or 9. the holder of an EIC did not notify the Department of Immigration of any material change in circumstances under which the EIC was granted
How to Apply
File for expression of interest online
Any person who is not a Commonwealth citizen must be naturalised as a British Overseas Territories Citizen in order to acquire Bermudian status which requires a legal residence of 5 to 10 years depending on the section you apply.
Bermudians are classified as a British Overseas Territory Citizen (BOTC). The Bermuda Passport is a BOTC Passport. If you possess a BOTC passport you can: They can apply for a British passport and Receive consular assistance and protection from all UK diplomatic posts.
Effective May 31st 2015, British Overseas Territory Citizens wishing to travel or reside in the United Kingdom longer than six months who have not yet obtained a UK Passport must have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). This is a visa which is applied for before entering the UK.