Montenegro is a beautiful picturesque country in south eastern Europe surrounded by Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia and Albania. Montenegro. Montenegro future candidate for EU membership and NATA and currently has UN and WTO membership. The name Montenegro is derived from the word “black mountain” (Monte (“mountain”) and Negro (“black”). The currency of Montenegro is Euro. Montenegro is currently listed as a candidate country for EU membership.
The Montenegrin special citizenship by investment program (MSCBI) is a development mechanism for creating new jobs and raising living standards of the citizens. The donations collected from citizenship program is to be used in the development of North of Montenegro
Montenegro CBI scheme now open for applications effective from Oct 3, 2019. The scheme will close on Dec 31, 2021
- Special citizenship by admission scheme
- No language tests, No business experience.
- Lowest property prices in Europe
- No military service required.
- Free movement in EU countries and Schengen area.
- Limited Quota of 2000 applications.
- No physical residence requirements
- Opportunity to invest in Hotels, resorts and agri sectors.
- Montenegro leading country to join EU membership and schengen area by 2025
1. Real Estate
The following investments qualify under Montenegrin citizenship by investment scheme.
1. EUR 250,000 investment in undeveloped areas of Montenegro
2. EUR 450,000 investment in developed areas of Montenegro
The Government will charge additional EUR 100,000 per application which is used in development of Montenegro. The total cost will be EUR 350,000
In addition, the applicant must deposit
- 15,000 euros for an application for single applicant
- 10,000 euros for up to 4 family members, and
- 50,000 euros for each next family member,
All applicants must pass Governments due diligence and vetting process, before being granted citizenship under the investment scheme.
2. Tourist or Five star Hotel Investments
Montenegro encourages large investment development projects in Tourist or hotel developments
- €5 million creating 25 jobs
- €15 million creating 80 jobs
Investment primary agricultural production is at least € 2,000,000 and create atleast 10 jobs
4. Wood Processing
Investment of €4 million and employing atleast 20 people
Investment of atleast €3.5 million in fisheries and processing products and employing 20 people
The Special economic citizenship program by admission will only run for three years and limited to 2000 applicants applying for citizenship through investment
Citizenship + Permanent Residency
Investors will be issued permanent residency within 3 weeks and after 2 months will receive naturalisation certificate for citizenship and passport.
Interested applicants must apply through authorized agents appointed by the Government.
Montenegrin passport is ranked 42nd in the world with visa free access to 123 countries including EU schengen states, Russia, Turkey, Singapore etc. A visa is needed to travel to United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and United States
Montenegro is expected to join EU in 2025 and will be a part of schengen area after that.
Montenegro offers low tax policy for established businesses and individuals.
Montenegro allows holding dual citizenship and does not requires relinquishing previous citizenships under the new economic citizenship scheme.
Montenegro has signed E1 and E2 treaty with United States since 1882, which are better alternatives for EB-5 scheme
|Montenegro||E-1||November 15, 1882|
|Montenegro||E-2||November 15, 1882|
- E-1 – Treaty trader, spouse or child – For businesses and individuals engaged in substantial international trade between the US and the treaty trader country. The volume of trade must be sufficient to provide employment for a number of people in the United States and must constitute the majority of the trader’s international trade.
- E-2 – Treaty investor, spouse or child – For those who have made a significant investment in a US business in which the investor has at least a 50% ownership. The investment must be sufficient to provide employment for a number of people in the United States and must be in an active US business.
We have compiled the most important questions about Montenegro citizenship by investment scheme.
1. Does Montenegro have EU membership?
No. Montenegro has currently candidate country status for EU membership. Likely to join European Union in 2025
2. What is the legal background for CIP?
Montenegrin Citizenship by Admission scheme was published in Official Gazette of Montenegro 34/10, 40/16 and 62/18 which was adopted at the session of 22 November 2018
3. Can i apply now for citizenship scheme?
Yes, Currently open for applications from Oct 3, 2019, officially announced by Government
4. How many citizenships will be granted under CIP?
No yearly quotes, a total of 2000 investors and their family members will be admitted as citizens.
5. Are you an authorized agent?
We work with the trusted authorized agent appointed by the government.
6. Is Montenegro in Schengen area?
No, but Montenegrin passport holders can travel to EU schengen countries without visa. Likely to join schengen area in 2025.
7. How much is the minimum investment required?
EUR 250,000 in real estate + EUR 100,000 (donation) + Additional fees is required
8. How to become permanent resident?
Permanent residency is included in the citizenship scheme. It is issued within 3 weeks after investment
9. Can i travel to UK and Ireland using Montenegro passport?
No. Montenegro passport holders including investors require a visa to travel to UK and Ireland.
10. Can i submit applications directly to Government?
NO. The special citizenship program applications shall only be submitted by the applicant for himself and members of his family to the Competent Body through an intermediary agent.
11. Is dual citizenship allowed?
Yes. Please check your home country allows dual citizenship. Eg. China, India, Singapore, Malaysia, UAE and other middle east countries may not allow becoming dual citizens. In this case we ask you to seek legal advice.
12. Who administers citizenship by investment scheme?
The Government of Montenegro has appointed Secretariat for Development Projects (srp.gov.me) responsible for administering and overseeing special citizenship by investment program. The office is located at Bulevar Revolucije 7, 81 000 Podgorica. The citizenship scheme is designed within government institutions without any involvement of third party providers.
13. What is the official currency of Montenegro
14. How applicants are vetted?
First the agent performs initial due diligence checks. Later the government appointed third party due diligence firms conduct a detailed vetting process on the applicants, who must be free from criminal record, must have no visa denials from EU schengen states, clear from sanctions and clear source of funds. Only passing these checks will be granted passport.
Applicants should not have been sentenced in Montenegro or another state by a final and binding court decision to an unconditional prison sentence of more than one year for a criminal offense prosecuted ex officio or the legal consequences of the conviction for such criminal offence have ceased
15. Can i include family members as dependents?
Family members shall be considered to be:
- a married spouse;
- applicant’s children who turned 18 years of age, who are dependent on the applicant
- applicant’s children under 18 years of age, who can acquire Montenegrin citizenship by coming of age.
16. What documents are required?
– certified copies of passports and ID cards,
– birth certificates,
– marriage certificates,
– insurance policies valid in Montenegro, which cover health insurance,
– Health certificate from doctor confirmation that they do not suffer from contagious diseases, issued in accordance with the regulations of the country in which the applicant is a national.
Please note some documents need an apostille to be valid in Montenegro. Montenegro is a member of Hague convention of apostilles. You can check where to get apostille in your country here
17. What are the restricted countries?
North Korea, Iran, Syria, Somalia, Sudan. The CIU may consider some cases. Please contact for more clarification and eligibility criteria.
18. How is the real estate market?
Montenegro real estate offers an excellent investment opportunity at currently prevailing low prices. Montenegro has the lowest property prices in europe. Property prices of flats in new residential building in capital Podgorica, Montenegro is 1,200 EUR per square metre. Budva is coastal resort and Venetian port-city, with sandy beaches and a diverse nightlife, welcoming over half a million visitors annually.
19. Is the citizenship reported to other countries?
20. Can i vote as citizen of Montenegro?
21. How is Montenegro compared with other EU investor citizenship schemes?
Montenegro has the cheapest citizenship by investment (CBI) program in Europe. It is a great future investment considering Montenegro joining EU and Schengen area in six years by 2025 giving you a chance to become EU citizen in the future. Once Montenegro joins EU prices will soar and also citizenship could be difficult to afford.
Here is the current prevailing prices for CBI schemes in Europe.
- Montenegro – EUR 250,000
- Malta – EUR 900,000
- Cyprus – EUR 2,150,000
- Bulgaria – EUR 1,000,000 (closed)
- Moldova – EUR 100,000 (suspended/closed)
22. Does CIP have donation option?
No, the CIP is a part of DONATION + INVESTMENT model. This means you have to invest in real estate plus pay a EUR 100,000 donation to fund to become eligible for citizenship.
23. Can i visit US and Canada with passport of Montenegro?
No, a visa is required
24. Can Montenegro revoke citizenship for investors ?
Yes, the decision passed by Montenegro may revoke citizenship anytime for concealment, fraud, interpol wanted person and national security threat. If the citizenship is revoked, there will be no refund of the investment.
25. Is Montenegro is a member of UN and NATO?
Montenegro is a member of the UN, NATO, the World Trade Organization, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, the Council of Europe, and the Central European Free Trade Agreement. It is a founding member of the Union for the Mediterranean.
26. Where is Montenegro?
Montenegro is in south east europe near adriatic sea. Take a look in the map
Montenegro is a Balkan country with rugged mountains, medieval villages and a narrow strip of beaches along its Adriatic coastline. The Bay of Kotor, resembling a fjord, is dotted with coastal churches and fortified towns such as Kotor and Herceg Novi. Durmitor National Park, home to bears and wolves, encompasses limestone peaks, glacial lakes and 1,300m-deep Tara River Canyon.
27. What are some quick facts about Montenegro?
The name Mont + Negro means Black mountain. Hence Montenegro or Crna Gora as it’s called in Montenegrin
- Montenegro has 622,000 population of which 70% are christians and 20% are muslims
- Montenegro has GDP of $12 billion in 2019
- Montenegro’s beauty attracts close to 2 million visitor arrivals for tourism
- Montenegro has 117 of them along 293 kilometers of coastline.
- Montenegro’s Lake Skadar is one of the biggest bird reserves in Europe home to 270 bird species.
- Montenegro’s capital city Podgorica existed since 1326.
28. How to travel to Montenegro by Air?
a tiny country, there are two international airports: one in the capital, Podgorica, and one on the coast in Tivat. To save money on flights to Montenegro, consider flying into Dubrovnik airport in Croatia, which is just 20 minutes from the Montenegrin border
29. Can i open bank account in Montenegro?
Foreigners can open bank account in Montenegro. There are 15 commercial banks in Montenegro have the license to do financial business in Montenegro.
- Erste Bank,
- The First Bank of Montenegro
- Hipotekarna Bank
- Lovćen Bank
- NLB bank
- Societe Generale Bank of Montenegro
- ZIRAAT Bank
- Montenegro Commercial bank (CKB)
30. Is Montenegro listed in OECD blacklist of CBI/RBI schemes?
NO, Montenegro is not blacklisted.
31. Do banks in Montenegro exchange tax information with other countries under CRS?
Montenegro is the only country among CBI countries that does not participate in CRS.
Montenegro is not in the CRS list of tax exchange. Banks in Montenegro currently do not participate in the Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI) or Common Reporting Standards (CRS) schemes. It may happen in the future.
32. Does Montenegro have an official Golden visa scheme?
No, there is no official golden visa scheme, only golden passport scheme. There is a possibility to obtain residence permit against investments. We dont assist with this process.
33. Do i have to make a personal visit?
Yes, once to receive residence permit, finalize investments, signing and biometric data process.
34. Are there any residency requirement for fast track citizenship?
None. There is no requirement to visit Montenegro after getting passport
35. What is the validity of passport issued?
All Montenegro passports issued to Investors are valid for 10 years.
36. Does Montenegro require military service from investors?
37. Is Montenegro safe country?
Montenegro is generally a safe country
38. How much it costs to renew the Montenegro passport?
39. Does Montenegro issue Biometric passport?
Yes, e-passport valid for 10 years.