The Granting of Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is regulated by the Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services Regulations (S.L. 188.06).
- The main applicant must be at least 18 years of age;
- In possession of a valid travel document;
- Submit application via accredited IIP agent;
- Provide proof of having been a resident of Malta for a period of 12 months preceding the issuing of a certificate of naturalization;
- Have a Global Health Insurance coverage for the main applicant and Maleach of the dependants.
- Spouse – in a monogamous marriage or in another relationship having the same or similar status to marriage;
- Dependants of 18 years of age and under;
- Dependants between the age of 18 and 29 years of age, who are not married and who are wholly supported by the main applicant and form part of the household; and
- Dependants over the age of 55 years (e.g. parents), who are wholly supported by and who form part of the household of the main applicant.
Application Process and Timeline
The application process can be broken down into 11 steps, which will be explored in detail in this chapter.
Power of Attorney
• Prospective applicant gives a power of attorney to the agent to act on his behalf for the whole duration of the
• Agent performs Tier 1 due diligence on prospective applicant and submits Residency application.
• Agency performs Tier 1 due diligence and obtains 1st police clearance.
• Agent submits Citizenship eligibility application to the Agency.
• Birth and marriage certificates are submitted to Public Registry and Passport Office by the Agent.
• Agency performs Tier 2 due diligence and ensures correctness and completeness of the application. The Agency
may request further information and documents to ensure all the necessary documentation is in order.
• Agency performs Tiers 3 and 4 due diligence and presents the application and its findings to the Minister.
• On the Minister’s instructions, the Agency informs the agent of the Minister’s decision if the applicant is eligible to
apply for Maltese Citizenship.
• After 12 months or 36 months from Residence, the agent presents the Citizenship application to the Agency.
Due Diligence Update
• The Agency updates its due diligence on the Applicant and presents its final findings to the Minister.
Decision on Citizenship
• On the Minister’s instructions, the Agency informs the agent of the Minister’s decision if the applicant can be granted Maltese Citizenship.
• Applicant fulfils the Exceptional Investment, Donation and Property requirements.
• Applicant is invited to come to Malta and takes the Oath of Allegiance.
• Applicant is granted Maltese Citizenship and is issued with Certificate of Naturalisation.
• Agency conducts continuous monitoring for five years.
If you dont know, how to complete application forms, please follow the instructions on the ESDI Handbook
Power of Attorney
Application for a Residence Permit, for Individuals who are not Nationals of an EU Member State, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland – Economic Self Sufficiency
Application for Residence Documentation, for individuals who are Nationals of an EU Member State, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland – Economic Self-Sufficiency
Form ID 1A
Electronic Identity Registration Form – Non Maltese Nationals
Form ID 2
Image Capture Application Form and photos for dependents under the age of 12
Parent’s Consent Form
This form must be completely filled in and signed by the parents, in the presence of the witness who should be fully aware of the parents’ identity.
Rental Declaration Form
This form must be filled by the owner of the residential property indicated in the lease agreement submitted by the applicant. This serves as a confirmation of the address indicated by the applicant on the application for a residence document submitted to the Agency.
Heath Insurance Form
Heath Insurance Cover
Declaration for Submission of the Citizenship Application
De-Facto Partner Declaration
Forms R and R1
These forms include declarations made by the main applicant at Eligibility Stage (Form R) and subsequently at Citizenship Phase (Form R1). In Part A of the forms the main applicant is required to indicate his/her dependents who will be submitting an application under the regulations.
Forms S and S1
These forms include declarations made by any adult dependants forming part of the application, including the spouse. Form S is to be completed at Eligibility Stage, while Form S1 at Citizenship Stage. S.L. 188.06 lists who could be considered as a “dependant”.
This form is to be completed on behalf of minors at Citizenship Stage.
The PDFEE Form is required in the case of all applicants, and if applicable, any benefactors. Applicants are required to submit information and documentation regarding their family members and also pertinent information as regards their education and employment.
The form is used to declare the income, net worth, the source of funds and wealth of the main applicant and any benefactor (where applicable). An adult dependant, such as the spouse, may also be requested to complete an SSFW Form if he/she appears to contribute to the overall income and wealth of the main applicant.
All applicants need to submit PSC Form. It is required in connection with the identification of the applicant, and the form needs to be certified by a duly licensed lawyer, notary public or by a Maltese consular or diplomatic officer. Authentication of the certifier is also required where necessary.
All applicants are required to submit Form MRQ. The form contains information regarding the state of health of the applicant. The form includes a section that needs to be completed by the examining physician.
Business and Corporate Affiliations Declaration
This declaration serves to facilitate the provision of information pertaining to the applicant’s business affiliations. It may be used as a supporting document providing additional information to supplement the details presented in SSFW Form Part C.
Tax Residency Jurisdiction Declaration
The Agency requires that every applicant forming part of the application and is liable to pay tax, to sign a declaration clearly listing all the jurisdictions where the individual/s is/are a tax resident.
Annual Compliance Form
This form has to be filled in by the Agent and submitted to the Agency on an annual basis, coinciding with the date of the certificate of naturalisation.
The following basic documents are required:
- International passports, ID cards, residence permits
- GDPR declaration
- Birth certificates
Original, original extract or a certified true copy of the original birth certificate, bearing the required apostille/legalisation, must be submitted.
- Marriage / divorce certificates
- Military records
- Statement of Source of Funds & Wealth
- Evidence of residential address abroad
- Medical certificate
The examining physician must certify that the individual being examined is the one appearing on the identification document presented and complete the form by:
• annexing a copy of this identification document to the form;
• certifying that the individual examined is the person shown on the annexed copy by providing a written statement;
• signing, stamping and dating the annexed copy; and completing the declaration
- Police certificate
All applicants aged 14 and over at the time of application submission must provide an original police conduct certificate as issued by the competent national/federal authorities in the country of origin and in the country or countries of residence where the applicant has resided for a period of more than 6 months during the last 10 years.Police certificates must be in original, less than 6 months old upon submission of
application and certified by the national/federal police system of the relevant country. Police certificates do not require a further apostille/ legalisation if submitted from the following jurisdictions: EEA, EU, Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada. Any police conduct certificates which are not in the English language should be translated accordingly.
- Evidence of business ownership, employment
- Change of name document