The Vanuatu Government has introduced Investment Government Bonds Option (IGBO) issued in Australian dollars (AUD) as the third investment option for the citizenship by investment scheme to make Vanuatu CBI more competitive among other countries. The Amendments to the Citizenship act (Investment government bond regulation – Order 44 of 2023) were gazetted on March 27, 2023. According to the order, 500 units of bonds will be issued for the citizenship purpose with each unit eligible for one application.
Government Bonds (Interest Free)
According to the Order, the Reserve Bank of Vanuatu (RBV) will issue 500 units of zero interest government bonds for this option, ranging from AUD 150,000 to AUD 180,000, depending on the time to maturity:
- Bonds maturing in 2 years (24 months) — AUD 180,000
- Bonds maturing in 2.5 years (30 months) — AUD 170,000
- Bonds maturing in 3 years (36 months) — AUD 150,000
The applicant must pay 100% of the bond money and the bond investment is fully refunded upon maturity (Note: no interest paid). Vanuatu will issue government bond certificate within 7 days after payment by the investor. The Vanuatu citizenship commission will issue citizenship certificate after reviewing the application within 60 days.
Non refundable fees payable by investors
- Single applicant — AUD 20,000
- Couple — AUD 30,000
- Couple and one Child — 45,000 AUD
- Couple and two Children — 60,000 AUD
- Application fee – VT 5000
- Certificate fee – VT 10,000
- Due diligence check – AUD 7,500
Bond Application of a person who has had a criminal conviction for an offence carrying imprisonment for 12 months or more will not be accepted. Applicants from Iran, Russia, Belarus, North Korea are not accepted. The Commission may accept applications from any restricted country or United Nations sanctioned country if the applicant shows that he or she:
- has not resided in the restricted country or United Nations sanctioned country for the last 5 years; and
- provides evidence of permanent residency abroad
Please contact us for more information.