Malta is one of the difficult countries to acquire citizenship through ordinary naturalisation. Although eligible candidates can apply for Maltese citizenship after five years of living, the waiting times are long and significant. The fast track route is available through investment with the Malta residency to citizenship scheme (MR2C) which was launched for exceptional services with new legislation published in the Government Gazette Of Malta No. 20,524 on 20.11.2020. It is only the last remaining investor citizenship scheme in the European Union.
The Malta Residency by Investment Program that may lead to citizenship given that an investor/applicant is successfully eligible to acquire Maltese Nationality contributing to economic development in Malta. This is subject to a stringent due diligence process, only worthy individuals are admitted and the approval of the Minister responsible for Citizenship. There is a capping of a maximum of 400 cases per year for a total of one thousand five hundred cases over a period of three years. The key conditions for citizenship are buy a property (or rent) and also establish genuine link to Malta. The authorities have also tightened rules making it impossible to apply for citizenship without living in Malta for 12 months. All applications shall be compiled with due regard to the latest directives on AML/CFT and any implementing guidelines published by FIAU.
The MR2C program takes 12-15 months of total time with the steps mentioned below. All payments had to be done progressively stagewise.
1.Residency Stage – 6 months (to issued a residency visa and residence permit)
2.Citizenship Stage – Application submitted after 12 months of residence (under fast track option)
Application Process and Timeline
The application process can be broken down into 11 steps..
• Power of Attorney – Prospective applicant gives a power of attorney to the agent to act on his behalf for the whole duration of the application process.
• Residence – Agent performs Tier 1 due diligence on prospective applicant and submits Residency application.
• Agency performs Tier 1 due diligence and obtains 1st police clearance.
• Agent submits Citizenship eligibility application to the Agency.
• Birth and marriage certificates are submitted to Public Registry and Passport Office by the Agent.
• Agency performs Tier 2 due diligence and ensures correctness and completeness of the application. The Agency may request further information and documents to ensure all the necessary documentation is in order.
• Agency performs Tiers 3 and 4 due diligence and presents the application and its findings to the Minister.
• On the Minister’s instructions, the Agency informs the agent of the Minister’s decision if the applicant is eligible to apply for Maltese Citizenship.
• Citizenship Application – After 12 months or 36 months from Residence, the agent presents the Citizenship application to the Agency.
• The Agency updates its due diligence on the Applicant and presents its final findings to the Minister.
• On the Minister’s instructions, the Agency informs the agent of the Minister’s decision if the applicant can be granted Maltese Citizenship.
• Applicant fulfils the Exceptional Investment, Donation and Property requirements.
• Applicant is invited to come to Malta and takes the Oath of Allegiance.
• Applicant is granted Maltese Citizenship and is issued with a Certificate of Naturalisation.
• Agency conducts continuous monitoring for five years.
- Applicant Part payment of non-refundable deposit €10,000
- Applicant Residence permit €5,000
- Each Dependant Residence permit €1,000
- Applicant Residency Card €27.50
- Each Dependant Residency Card €27.50
- Eligibility Payment Request Voucher (EPRV)
- Applicant Due Diligence Fee €15,000
- Each Dependant Due Diligence Fee €10,000
- Benefactor Due Diligence Fee €15,000
- Per Applicant/Dependant Administrative Fee €1,000
Citizenship Stage: Investment Request Voucher (IRV)
- Applicant Exceptional Direct Investment (36 Months Residency) €590,000
- Applicant Exceptional Direct Investment (Less than 36 Months Residency) €740,000
- Each Dependant Exceptional Direct Investment €50,000
- Per Applicant/Dependant Administrative Fee €500
2. Housing Requirement
Purchase an immovable residential property in Malta having a minimum value of €700,000 (OR) Lease of a residential immovable property in Malta for a minimum annual rent of €16,000 to be retained for a minimum period of 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate of citizenship
Donate €10,000 to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic non-governmental organisation or society, or as otherwise approved by the Agency.
4. Agency Fee
Authorized agents by government will also charge a fee to submit applications to citizenship agency. (Applicants are not allowed submit application directly to government)
Please contact us for more information.