The 2008 Citizenship Act of Montenegro does not allow dual citizenship, however this is permitted under limited circumstances listed below.
- Citizens who had another citizenship before June 3, 2006 were allowed to retain dual citizenship
- On the basis of the international treaties and agreements referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article, dual citizenship may be established, on the condition that it is reciprocal. So far the agreement done with Macedonia and negotiations are on with Serbia.
- Investors who acquire citizenship through special citizenship program of Montenegro
The Citizenship of Montenegro is regulated by a citizenship law, ratified by Parliament in 2008 and published by the Official Journal of Montenegro (No. 13/2008).
Naturalization is accepted by Montenegro if the applicant has resided continuously for ten years and has legally released from foreign citizenship and command in Montenegrin language.
A child Montenegrin citizen, holding at the same time the citizenship of foreign state, shall be deprived of Montenegrin citizenship, if during his/her minority is established that conditions based upon which he/she acquired the Montenegrin citizenship, are not anymore fulfilled.
Article 24 states any adult citizen of Montenegro , holding also foreign citizenship, shall be deprived of Montenegrin citizenship , if :
- voluntarily acquired the citizenship of foreign state, except under conditions of the provisions under Article 18 of paragraph 2 hereof,
it is established that decree on naturalization have been made on the basis of false statement; deliberate concealment of facts or circumstances important for making of decree, except if the person who acquired the Montenegrin citizenship should become stateless person.
- have acquired Montenegrin citizenship on the basis of a warranty of foreign state that he/she will cessate a citizenship if he/she acquires Montenegrin citizenship, and if within the period established by the decree on acquisition of citizenship he/she does not submit evidence on cessation of citizenship of that state, except if such a person should become a stateless person ;
- is irrevocably sentenced for the criminal offence against humanity and other interests protected by the International Law;
- is irrevocably sentenced for planning, organizing, financing or any other manner of assisting to or committing of terrorist acts or providing of shelter to organizers, perpetrators or participants in terrorist activities.
- is a member of the organization with the activities aiming against security and defense of Montenegro;
- is in the voluntary service of military forces of a foreign state;
- his/her attitude is seriously harmful to the interests of Montenegro.
Download Montenegro Citizenship Act (2008)