Lately, increasing number of Nigerians are applying for Golden visas and Citizenship by investment programs. Nigerians are required to collect police clearance certificates to apply for immigration programs including for purchase of real estate in a foreign country.
A criminal background check or PCC (police character certificate) is mandatory for all nigerians besides passport, birth certificate and other identification documents. Immigration authorities abroad will require fresh PCC which are issued from within 3 months.
Remember CBI schemes will require PCC from all the countries you lived in the past 10 years for background checks.
How to Apply for PCC in Nigeria
The Nigeria Police Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) is the highest investigating arm of the Nigeria Police. Here are the steps to apply for PCC online
1. Log on to www.npf.gov.ng
2. Click tinted permit link on the quick-link menu.
3. Fill the registration form on the right to obtain an Application ID.
4. Complete the Application Process by Login in with your email and the Application ID electronically generated.
5. Fill the Bio-Data form when logged-in and enter the details of the Vehicle you want to obtain tinted permit for with the instructions outlined on the page.
6. Upload your vehicle license, proof of ownership.
7. Print out the information submitted then take the Print-out to the State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) in any Police Command, to capture your biometrics. The fingerprint form is available here
8. Applicants applying on medical grounds must upload a medical report obtained from any government hospital and must bring original copies of all relevant documents for verification before their biometric can be captured.
9. Upon completion of this procedure, your application shall be processed and decisions including issuance of the permit if application is successful shall be conveyed within five working days.
Your application will be fully processed after these steps.
Applicants with challenges of processing their application online can go to the State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) within their State Police Command or the FHQ Abuja for support. Note that motor vehicle tinted permit can only be issued to applicants that meets the requirement as stated in section 66(2) of the National Road Traffic Regulation (1997) and Section 1(1) of the Motor Vehicle (prohibition of tinted glass) ACT, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.
The PCC cost varies from $50 to $100 depending on applying yourself or engaging service providers.