Golden passports are special passports that are acquired through citizenship by investment (CBI) schemes.
The roots of golden passports can be traced back to the 1980s when tax havens in the Pacific and Caribbean began “citizenship-for-sale” programs that facilitated visa-free travel and provided tax advantages. Even before that St Kitts became the first country in the world to offer golden passport along with citizenship for investment of $200,000
Today there are close to dozen countries that offer ‘Gold’ passports for economic investments through citizenship by investment (CBI) schemes. The time frame to receive such a passport various from 3 months to 15 months depending on the country. Malta and Cyprus also offer citizenship (“so-called golden passports”) to individuals if they invest a certain sum which starts with millions
Golden passports are now affordable to many, offering a new life, new citizenship in a new country to many families. These are the following advantages
- Better quality of life — Citizenship-by-investment programs often provide individuals with the ability to relocate permanently to another country to improve many aspects of lifestyle
- Mobility — A second, or even third, passport from a country with a high level of visa-free access gives an individual the ability to travel widely without time-consuming visa application processes
- Security — Securing the option to permanently reside or retire in a safe country. This alternative passport, most likely from a peaceful country, is critical when traveling and in times of political unrest, civil war, terrorism and other situations
- Education — Provide your children with the ability to live, work, and study in multiple countries
- Financial planning — An alternative citizenship offers more privacy and economic security across banking and investment portfolios. Investors also enjoy tax breaks and the possibility of improved personal and corporate tax exposure
- Taxation – Reduce tax burden from high tax countries to low tax nations.
Here are the current prevailing prices for golden passports through CBI schemes through donation to the state fund and real estate.
|Gold Passport||Donation (USD)||Real Estate (USD)||Time Frame|
|St Kitts||150,000||200,000||3 months|
|St Lucia||100,000||300,000||3 months|