Malta launched the Individual Investor Program (IIP) in 2014, since then the scheme has received a number of applications, according to ORiip report on IIP.

 

  • Over 40% of main applicants originated from Europe followed by Asia
  • 91% of IIP applicants chose to lease property, whereas the remaining 9% have purchased luxury homes in Malta exceeding €900,000.
  • A total of 1,575 IIP applications received since 2014 considering IIP scheme capped to 1800 applications when it was launched.
  • IIP scheme generated little over €900 million euros since inception, which represents 7.2% of Malta’s 2017 GDP
  • Malta naturalized a total of 3,673 persons for citizenship/passport since its inception (includes family members and main investors)

 

IIP Citizenship by Investment

Malta naturalized a total of 3,673 foreigners since 2013 until 2018 in five years, under IIP citizenship by investment scheme.  This represents only an average of 734 wealthy foreigners receiving citizenship in Malta per year.

In 2016, EU member states granted citizenship to almost 1 million persons (994 800) according to Eurostat. When comparing this to Malta granting citizenship under IIP, represents only 0.07% (less than one percent).

Malta IIP scheme requires 12 months of residence to become a citizen of Malta under IIP regulations.

Total Investment

 

  • Contributions: €672m
  • Property investment: €110 m (averaging €959,149.85 per property).
  • Government bonds: €126m
  • Total: 908m

 

Naturalizations under IIP

Year Main Dependent Sum
2014 – 2015 44 83 127
2015-2016 134 477 611
2016-2017 386 1409 1795
2017-2018 226 914 1140
Total 3673

IIP Applications Received

Year Total
2013 – 2014 173
2014 – 2015 245
2015 – 2016 450
2016 – 2017 377
2017 – 2018 330

IIP Statistics

  • Applications
  • Citizenship

IIP Investments (millions)

  • NDF
  • Bonds
  • Property